Nepal, Machine Readable Passport & the Technical Details

The latest political happenings in Nepal, affecting Nepal
kazi

Re: Nepal, Machine Readable Passport & the Technical Details

Postby kazi » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:24 pm

@Umesh, haha.. good one hilarious as it sounds, it is definitely a possibility with the Nepal government... and such absurdness would not be the first time... wink wink

@pkreli, its interesting that its a package deal because I really do not see any interesting technology here. I'm just curious what is it that needs technical support? Also, when you say the government did not follow the correct procedure, what do you think the government should have done? Paranoia.. haha.. its a Nepali disease that will slowly kill.. haha..

yep, sensationalization is definitely the culprit. In the age of smart chips and rfid tags, what's this big hullaballo about MRP? I think the issue is not about technology but about money. No wonder the politicians are all over it.
--
"Mother and motherland are more precious than heaven." But that does not mean we must cling to our mothers. The least I can do for Nepal is to bring awareness among the Nepali people. And this Nepali forum is the platform for me.

Ganesha

Postby Ganesha » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:50 pm

Here is the letter that Rakesh Sood wrote to Sujata Koirala for MRP. Let's analyse the two pages and see if we can find the underlying current.
aawartan.org - nepali forum

kazi

Postby kazi » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:58 am

I'm surprised a confidential letter like this leaked out... whoever is responsible should be fired. Anyway, I did not find anything interesting in the letter for analysis.
--
"Mother and motherland are more precious than heaven." But that does not mean we must cling to our mothers. The least I can do for Nepal is to bring awareness among the Nepali people. And this Nepali forum is the platform for me.

Umesh

Postby Umesh » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:16 pm

kazi wrote:... I did not find anything interesting in the letter for analysis.

Except that he claims Indian Ministry of Foreign affairs pays more than what he offered Gov of Nepal. I do not understand how an Indian businessman could be so generous. :) Is it because "ghyu kaha pokhiyo- daal ma"?

kazi

Postby kazi » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:41 pm

yes, you are right, @Umesh, about the ghiu and daal. Although I think you may be right, it is also true that a hundred possible reasons are possible that might have resulted in a concession. Its a matter of speculation only. But knowing the way the political leaders have behaved in the past: overriding the bidding process and the culture of commission, the concession is no surprise.
--

Ganesha

Postby Ganesha » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:22 am

Is it not so pathetic that India hatches the plan knowing fully well that the plan might be compromised and when it does, does issue a statement further proving the mess that it created for Nepal and itself?

I see the boom in Indian technology, the growth of its economy and its rising status as a country of growing power in the world stage and tend to regard it as a respectable enough place but incidents like these remind me to lower the expectations and make me think that its mindset never changed. I feel ashamed of the largest democracy of the world.

kazi

Postby kazi » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:23 am

I hope you are joking about being ashamed of the *mitra-rashtra* because of two reasons:
1. Unless you feel a sense of *afno-pan* you would not ashamed. If you do feel the kinship, its wonderful. And if you do not, there might be other issues to resolve.
2. I think you are generalizing issues and over-reacting like a child does after his/her older brother stole his candy.

But on a positive note, what do you think is the solution to your problem?
--

Ganesha

Postby Ganesha » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:05 pm

ha.ha.. child and candy. Funny post.

Whenever issues between India and Nepal have arisen, we have written volumes against them, shouted at them, burnt tyres and even inflicted pain on to ourselves. Meanwhile, never has our top political mass not swayed to their wishes and never have they changed in trying to wring us out as far as practicable. This was an attempt to feel sorry about them, despite the fact that they having risen dramatically in almost all areas of development in the last couple of years still lag towards adopting a respectable thinking towards us.

Its also a fact they straddle us (bad choice of word perhaps) from three sides and a percentage of Nepalis do have kinship and much further I suppose with another percentage of North Indians and we have to live with this too. (Were you born in that belt and had kinship across the border, you would never have only thought of the word but also of the ground reality). And hence ashamed.

A wise man once used to say, "..the Indians are like that son, because they are poor today, both materially and because materially, intellectually too. One day they are going to be rich and when they do not have to worry about day to day living, they will be fair to us.". Perhaps I am waiting for that day.

A very quick and effective solution would be to choose leaders who are capable of using their own brains and who have that itch to lead us from our current humdrum existence but we know it is too much to ask for at the time. I fail you kazi in this.

kazi

Postby kazi » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:24 am

Indeed you have failed for sure. But not me or yourself even. You have failed to understand that we are Nepalis, not Indians. You may eat and drink and talk like Indians, but when push comes to shove, you are a Nepali. And you may fail to accept that if you want, but you may not forget that.

What makes us Nepali? What makes us so rich with so little? What makes us intellectuals without the support of material? What gives us courage with nobody covering our backs? How can we believe in the goodness of humanity when all we have received is pain and prejudice? It is our thoughts, our dreams and our hopes. It is because we believe: you may take my pride, but you may not take away my faith on freedom. Being Nepali is not just bearing a passport but upholding a dream. Its knowing how small and insignificant our position is and yet holding on to the highest ideals. Darned dreamer.. that I am. My friend, I do not ask you to be a dreamer like me. Go ahead.. do what you have to do to be happy. But never ever forget that your identity, your purpose, your ultimate goal in life is connected to mother and the motherland. And that is why you are a Nepali.
--

kazi

Postby kazi » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:43 am

And after all this hullaballu about nothing, the contract with Oberthur is gonna cost each MRP $3.59.
--

Return to “Current Affairs”