Nepal, Machine Readable Passport & the Technical Details

The latest political happenings in Nepal, affecting Nepal
Ganesha

Re: Nepal, Machine Readable Passport & the Technical Details

Postby Ganesha » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:56 pm

I think it is good that the MRP issue is settled for now. I feel even better at this because of this Nepali Times article and I quote the excerpts here.
Politicians playing their parlour games don't seem to care less what the country is coming to, or what becomes of its citizens.

If they did, they would take one look at the queues in front of the former royal palace for passports and do something about it. The ministers' carcades, sirens wailing, whoosh past people waiting days on end, rain or shine, for new passports. As they go from one inconclusive meeting to another, the politicians have little time to ponder the hardships they leave in their wake...

...A country that is almost totally dependent on its citizens working abroad to send money home should make it as easy as possible for people to get hold of passports. But the opposite is true.

And of course, a bit of praise for MKN does go out, here, from my side.
aawartan.org - nepali forum

kazi

Postby kazi » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:40 pm

Indeed, MKN has taken a bold step and is praiseworthy. I only hope this becomes an example for the whole government to copy. Only recently I have heard of irregularities by the government in following a proper bidding procedure in other sectors. I hope the government will rectify itself in all aspects of its governance.
--
"Mother and motherland are more precious than heaven." But that does not mean we must cling to our mothers. The least I can do for Nepal is to bring awareness among the Nepali people. And this Nepali forum is the platform for me.

kazi

Postby kazi » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:48 am

To the utter dismay of MKN's bold initiatives, Oberthur has delayed meeting the MRP deadline. The cited reasons are labor strikes and transportation problems according to the news, but I think this may be another political stunt. What I do not understand is why an international company would risk professional etiquette and fail to deliver on an important task as this. Was there some politically motivated propaganda? some foul play? financial issues? unreliability of the bidding company?
--
"Mother and motherland are more precious than heaven." But that does not mean we must cling to our mothers. The least I can do for Nepal is to bring awareness among the Nepali people. And this Nepali forum is the platform for me.

Return to “Current Affairs”