Disallowing Politically Affiliated Orgs in Campuses in Nepal

The latest political happenings in Nepal, affecting Nepal
Ganesha

Disallowing Politically Affiliated Orgs in Campuses in Nepal

Postby Ganesha » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:21 pm

They have been all but dissolved in rest of the countries and yet they thrive in Nepal (and India too). They are sources of power to the mainstream political parties but hinder the education process by disrupting classes, creating in-fights between students of other such student wings and are a digression to the actual teaching and learning environment in the institutions. There was a time when students were the most knowledgeable of the lot and energizing the young blood in the name of nationalism was perhaps appropriate. Now though, times have changed, things have modernized, there is democracy in the country and what the nation needs now is good, respecting citizens that take care of their individual business. Any yet, even in these times the in-numerous student wings of Nepali political parties still exist to be pawns of their mainstream parties and do not contribute much to the teaching/learning environment except create division, hatred and pain for most of the students. It is thus time now to do the following:

1. Disband all politically affiliated student wings.
2. Allow only one student council in the institution that looks after all student issues.
3. Not allow any politician to go to universities/campuses for the sole task of delivering a "bhasan" (speech) at any time.
aawartan.org - nepali forum

kazi

Re: Disallowing Politically Affiliated Orgs in Campuses in N

Postby kazi » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:21 am

Personally, I think students are the foundations for tomorrow and they should be encouraged to learn about politics. That does not mean they can conduct political activities at the University. Unfortunately, the zeal and susceptibility to coercion makes is very impractical to conduct controlled student political groups. The easiest way out and probably the wisest way, as you have suggested, is elimination of the problem altogether.

However, let us imagine it cannot be wholly eliminated. Can we still somehow manage it? I think we can, but there is always a risk of failure. I think financial sources for these organizations speak volumes on nature of the student body. If there was a way to keep the finances transparent, I think it would help to control the activities, and hence keep the organization in check. But I also know this is easier said than done.

Anyway, I have to say that if I had to make a decision, I'd get rid of the whole problem altogether by banning politically affiliated organizations in educational institutions.
--
"Mother and motherland are more precious than heaven." But that does not mean we must cling to our mothers. The least I can do for Nepal is to bring awareness among the Nepali people. And this Nepali forum is the platform for me.

Ganesha

Postby Ganesha » Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:07 pm

Thought sharing this in the current thread was relevant.

In the latest poll by Nepali Times with the question, "Should students be involved in politics?", over 62 percent respondents chose, "Not at all" (out of over 1110 votes cast). Just shows how much this current and existing nexus is reviled among the educated Nepali community. Here is the link to the poll. http://www.nepalpoll.com.np/news/npoll_ ... asp?id=563
aawartan.org - nepali forum

kazi

Postby kazi » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:00 am

I think the poll question is similar, and yet they are different. I think allowing a political affiliated organization within an academic institution is a totally different proposition from allowing students to be involved in politics. But then again, its just my two cents.
--
"Mother and motherland are more precious than heaven." But that does not mean we must cling to our mothers. The least I can do for Nepal is to bring awareness among the Nepali people. And this Nepali forum is the platform for me.

Return to “Current Affairs”