VOIP Illegal in Nepal?

The latest political happenings in Nepal, affecting Nepal
kazi

VOIP Illegal in Nepal?

Postby kazi » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:58 am

Since when did operating VOIP services become illegal? Or is this proof that policy-making is a disastrous failure in Nepal? Does that also mean that MagicJack services are illegal in Nepal?
Last edited by Ganesha on Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: cosmetic: subject line
--
"Mother and motherland are more precious than heaven." But that does not mean we must cling to our mothers. The least I can do for Nepal is to bring awareness among the Nepali people. And this Nepali forum is the platform for me.

Ganesha

Re: VOIP illegal in Nepal?

Postby Ganesha » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:45 am

That is correct. VOIP services has always been illegal in Nepal. This is because:

1. Nepal Telecommunications is a monopoly.
2. Nepal Telecommunications has the sole right to allow/disallow anything on its network, which for all Nepalis is the only one having terrestrial network (land lines).
3. Policy makers outside of Nepal Telecommunications do not understand VOIP and its potential to make life easier for the masses.
4. Policy makers in Nepal Telecommunications understand it only as something which takes away their revenue sources but not something they could tap and empower them with.
5. Those who have the knowledge and the power to change this do not have the motivation to make this change as nobody from "above" has ever asked them to and they are brain dead when it comes to using their heads voluntarily.
6. And of course, those poor Bangladeshis. They probably got caught as they did not "know" anyone "higher-up". Everyone knows tonnes of people use VOIP in Nepal ("illegally") and if it had not been the case, no Nepali living in foreign lands could ever use those cheap callings cards as all of their calls are routed similarly.
aawartan.org - nepali forum

kazi

Re: VOIP Illegal in Nepal?

Postby kazi » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:45 pm

Isn't that similar to how China and Iran deals with the Internet Services? It is another matter that the choke-hold is not as tight at those countries, but there is always the potential for such control. Would that be a reasonable statement?
--
"Mother and motherland are more precious than heaven." But that does not mean we must cling to our mothers. The least I can do for Nepal is to bring awareness among the Nepali people. And this Nepali forum is the platform for me.

Return to “Current Affairs”