"Thula Bhram, Satya Sadharan" - Nepal through Vijay Kumar

The latest political happenings in Nepal, affecting Nepal
Ganesha

"Thula Bhram, Satya Sadharan" - Nepal through Vijay Kumar

Postby Ganesha » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:08 am

Vijay Kumar, the Nepali journalist who produced "Disha Nirdesh" is back with a documentary series called, "Thula Bhram, Satya Sadharan", which translated loosely becomes "Huge Misconceptions, Poor Ordinary citizens". I was watching the video out of curiosity and found a portion that compelled me to write this post. An old man from the Terai talks so clearly, spontaneously and with such pride of Nepal that I just felt humbled. Watch this video at 13:30.
aawartan.org - nepali forum

kazi

Re: "Thula Bhram, Satya Sadharan" - Nepal through Vijay Kuma

Postby kazi » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:38 pm

Thanks for sharing, @Ganesha.. the program seems to be very interesting. I like the quest for answers to some very vital questions that has been unanswered throughout the history for Nepal.

In the same lines of questioning, I think Nepali solidarity is one of the biggest issues and I have been a proponent for almost a decade now. Also, I think one other reason that Nepal has not progressed is because of its lack of resources.. yes yes.. some may not agree with me and might claim water resources, etc. but notwithstanding, I think we lack resources. Another observation I made from what the people said is that mostly Nepalis are busy trying to remove Ranas, remove king, remove this party that party.. I just wonder why Nepalis are occupied thinking about destruction.. why can't we say, lets do this? this might work?

Anyway, I'm just thinking aloud.. once again, thanks for sharing.
--
"Mother and motherland are more precious than heaven." But that does not mean we must cling to our mothers. The least I can do for Nepal is to bring awareness among the Nepali people. And this Nepali forum is the platform for me.

Ganesha

Postby Ganesha » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:23 pm

Thx Kazi. Here is the second part. (Watch from 2:05 to do away with the theme song.) Vijay Kumar's theme this time is based on, "Political principles are gray but life is multicolored"! Enjoy.

kazi

Postby kazi » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:26 am

Its interesting how the contents of the program resonates so much with what we have discussed here at Aawartan. What is most attractive for me is the parts where people say, this is what needs to be done.. with power, the leaders must bear the responsibility also. I specially would like to quote a young aspirant, Gagan Thapa who says leaders are good for struggle but not for governance. I think superficially that is a correct observation of symptoms, but I think that is not the core of what we need. What we need is a leader with vision who can say this is where we want to go and this is how we are going to get there. The leader does not need to have the qualifications, rather he/she needs to be able to see the destination for the people and select people of the people who can do the job for the people.
--
"Mother and motherland are more precious than heaven." But that does not mean we must cling to our mothers. The least I can do for Nepal is to bring awareness among the Nepali people. And this Nepali forum is the platform for me.

Ganesha

Postby Ganesha » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:53 pm

And here is the third part of the series, Thula Bhram, Satya Sadharan. The theme of this episode is peace and security.

Asked what do people want, Kunda Dixit told this of an old mother, "mero chhoro mareko chha ki bacheko chha, tetti bandinoos, aru kehi chahidaina." (trans. tell me if my son is dead or alive and I can manage the rest.)

Another Nepali says, "A successful revolution brings peace to the nation. A revolution which does not do that is considered unsuccessful". I think I will remember this for long, with regards to the definition of a revolution.

kazi

Postby kazi » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:45 am

I have high respect for Bijaya Kumar (BK), his work and this initiative. But I have to say I did not like this last part.

For one, I did not like the answers of Kunda Dixit because I do not think it is well thought of and worse, contradictory. In the beginning he says he has not seen such pain as during the revolution days. And yet, later on he says, religious wars and ethnic wars can be much worse.

What I liked is the simple and precise response of the lady from Tanahun regarding the current peace situation. There is peace right now but the major risk is the possibility of recurrence of violence.

In fact, I think I do not get the central message that BK is trying to send out there. He uses and anecdote of Mahatma Gandhi saying people must work for the peace with non-violence. And yet, in this same broadcast it is said that violence is not only physical. I think Mahatma Gandhi's success was not because of his physical non-violence, but because of his insistence upon the truth (Satyagraha). In Gandhi's fight against the British rule, Gandhi succeeded because of his keen acumen and because he dealt with the core problem and not the superficial symptoms. Gandhi knew that the British rule was about business and that is what Gandhi targeted and won. In that respect, I believe Gandhi was a fighter and he fought with total abandon, figuratively and literally. Does that make him violent or non-violent?

I liked Gagan Thapa's attitude to violence. I think Khagendra Sangraula hit the core of the issue. To be really non-violent is to be aware and realize that as humans we can resolve issues by discussion. Just restraining from physical violence might bring surface calm, but the roots of violence will always remain. If we really want to be peaceful, we have to learn to communicate well. Only then can we be truly peaceful.
--

Return to “Current Affairs”