Google stepping on Nepali toes??

The latest political happenings in Nepal, affecting Nepal
kazi

Google stepping on Nepali toes??

Postby kazi » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:05 am

I was just reading ekantipur on my new Chrome browser. I almost jumped out of my skin at what I saw.. at the top of the page, Chrome tells me that the page is Hindi, and would I like to translate it? .. what cheek..

I do not know if this is Google's doing, because it might have to do with something on ekantipur pages.. but either way, it does not put Google on my good books.. just because the script is devnagari does not mean its hindi and google should know it and be careful..

Here is the screenshot evidence.
--
"Mother and motherland are more precious than heaven." But that does not mean we must cling to our mothers. The least I can do for Nepal is to bring awareness among the Nepali people. And this Nepali forum is the platform for me.

Ganesha

Re: Google stepping on Nepali toes??

Postby Ganesha » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:44 pm

I think this is a "labs" feature, which just means, it is still is in development. Further, it might be that this particular error does not somehow fall into Google's list of priorities. Nevertheless, I have posted the issue on Translator forum and will update this thread once I get something.
aawartan.org - nepali forum

kazi

Re: Google stepping on Nepali toes??

Postby kazi » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:35 pm

Well that is a possibility. I downloaded the default version available for my operating system and that might have been a beta version of Chrome, but I'd be surprised if it were so. Nevertheless, I'd be really surprised that even google would be smart enough to recognize a language just from its contents without any meta information. I think they are just basing their assumption on the script and that is a very *amateur approach* for lack of a better phrase.
--
"Mother and motherland are more precious than heaven." But that does not mean we must cling to our mothers. The least I can do for Nepal is to bring awareness among the Nepali people. And this Nepali forum is the platform for me.

Return to “Current Affairs”