Nepal in WikiLeaks - What are your thoughts?

The latest political happenings in Nepal, affecting Nepal
Ganesha

Nepal in WikiLeaks - What are your thoughts?

Postby Ganesha » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:17 am

There are 2278 cables sent from the US Embassy in Nepal to the US State Department in the recently released Wikileaks US Embassy Cables. It will be very interesting to read what the US thought of Nepal during the years. If anybody has read them, let's start the discussion.

Meanwhile, I would recommend reading this cable on Colonel Qadhafi of Libya which I personally find as exciting as reading a thrilling novella! (The leak it seems does have its own sense of wit and humor apart from a diplomatic fiasco for the US.)

(You can get a live update of the reactions people around the globe are showing with regard to the "WikiLeaks US Embassy Cables" by visiting this Guardian page.)
aawartan.org - nepali forum

kazi

Re: Nepal in WikiLeaks - What are your thoughts?

Postby kazi » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:02 am

Umm.. I have my reservations about this whole thing. Two reasons I can think of:

1. Its not that I am not curious but that I think the whole charade of intelligence between countries is transient and inconsequential. After all its not the cold war era anymore.. who cares what anyone thinks about anybody? "The business of America is business... " as President Calvin Coolidge once said and that is the bottomline. Everything else is volatile.

2. Of course every country has its intelligence.. from the smallest of countries like Nepal to hot shots like US, China and India. There may be one leak and thousand other unleaked information. Who knows whether the leak itself is just a gambit? Perhaps its just my scientific mind that is unwilling to accept, as a fact, anything that might be incomplete or that might be transient.
--
"Mother and motherland are more precious than heaven." But that does not mean we must cling to our mothers. The least I can do for Nepal is to bring awareness among the Nepali people. And this Nepali forum is the platform for me.

Ganesha

Postby Ganesha » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:33 pm

I initially thought all cables were already in the public domain but no, only the four newspapers have a copy and whatever they have chosen to publicise is only the available content. It seems the Nepal Dossier is yet to be made public so we will have to wait. But for the timebeing, here is a prediction of what it might contain as obtained from this link:
...The WikiLeaks memos on Nepal mainly revolve around the Maoist insurgency, the political upheaval followed by King Gyanendra's attempt to grab power with the help of an army-backed coup and the subsequent overthrow of his government due to a nationwide uprising.

Also featuring are the issues of the Tibetan and Bhutanese refugees in Nepal and Nepal's relations with India, its most influential neighbour...

With the subject of the cables this interesting, I am sure the series of cables will be a necessary reading for all Nepalis who want to have a yet another perspective to what happened to our country in the not so distant future.

kazi

Postby kazi » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:55 am

Incredibly tempting, but such is the nature of history. What would be irresistible for me is to know how that information is going to affect us in the future.. but that's just me :). Even the ambassador to Nepal has issued statements distancing US foreign policy from the leaks, which renders these leaks in some possibly flagrant colors.
--
"Mother and motherland are more precious than heaven." But that does not mean we must cling to our mothers. The least I can do for Nepal is to bring awareness among the Nepali people. And this Nepali forum is the platform for me.

Ganesha

Postby Ganesha » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:37 pm

Don't know when Nepal will fall under their priority list so that its cables are released. We might have to wait for months...

kazi

Postby kazi » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:14 am

.. if ever, that is. I just hope it won't be a disappointment to you if it's not according to your expectations.
--

afisara

Postby afisara » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:17 pm

Would've it been better if the government never responded to Wikileaks? By publicly reacting, The Government is giving Wikileaks credibility. Wikileaks and its ilk is unavoidable in the information age.

kazi

Postby kazi » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:56 am

I agree, @afisara. I think WikiLeaks is just an instance of freedom of press. Therefore, whether or not any government (A or B) responds depends on its foreign policy, in this case. But whether or not the information has crediblity depends on how the people respond to it. We have to remember that just because A thinks of B in a certain way, it is the truth. If governments had intervened before the leaks, the case would be different. But once it is in the open, I do not think any response would either validate or invalidate the leak, unless of course a detailed and transparent analysis is conducted.
--

Return to “Current Affairs”