A small business with 35 pages and 10 emails addresses

Place where young entrepreneurs can come together, share information, network, seek new business and ideas
kazi

A small business with 35 pages and 10 emails addresses

Postby kazi » Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:23 pm

How do I start a business with 25 static web pages, 10 dynamic pages and 10 email addresses? That means I will need a web server, a mail server and web space. What is the easiest, fastest and most reliable way to get all this for commercial purposes (ie. without having to deal with freebies like yahoo and google)?
--
"Mother and motherland are more precious than heaven." But that does not mean we must cling to our mothers. The least I can do for Nepal is to bring awareness among the Nepali people. And this Nepali forum is the platform for me.

kazi

Re: A small business with 35 pages and 10 emails addresses

Postby kazi » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:39 pm

1. Who provides the cheapest domain name registration service?
2. Who provides the cheapest server space?
--
"Mother and motherland are more precious than heaven." But that does not mean we must cling to our mothers. The least I can do for Nepal is to bring awareness among the Nepali people. And this Nepali forum is the platform for me.

Umesh

Postby Umesh » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:59 pm

If the pages are mostly static, gogaddy.com may be reasonable, and most of the time they offer $0.99 domain with hosting purchase. Some companies offer free domain with hosting purchase.

Ganesha

Postby Ganesha » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:00 am

Well, domain registration and hosting has become a highly competitive business. There are simply a lot of companies out there that deal with it with rock bottom prices. But you should be cautious. Many companies have strings attached to those "rock-bottom" prices. For eg. even though you got a discount in the first year while buying the domain, but you might be charged the full amount every year thereafter. Some have setup fees that are extra. Still some give away the domain for free but since the hosting plan was bare bones, which you realized only later, you will need to fork out more for those services. There are a lot of precaution that you should take that you can read about on the internet with a quick search.

But different companies have different ways of looking at their domain names. Google's domain registration is handled by http://www.markmonitor.com who boast that more than half of Fortune 100 do business with them. With that the only thing that comes to my mind is they cannot be cheap!

However, for the purpose of this discussion, I would say expect to pay about 10-15 dollars every year for the domain and 3-5 dollars a month for hosting. Many companies do provide free domain renewal while you keep the hosting with them. With this in mind, pick up a provider.

One more thing. With google apps, you can have your own gmail under your domain. Best of all, it is free. Here is an example!
aawartan.org - nepali forum

kazi

Postby kazi » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:09 pm

Thank you both, @Ganesha and @Umesh. For googleapp, $50 per user is pretty steep for a startup, but 25GB space is pretty decent, if it is used.
--

Ganesha

Postby Ganesha » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:58 am

Google apps, Standard Edition is completely free for upto 50 email addresses. You might have looked at the "Premium" edition.
Last edited by Ganesha on Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added link to google standard edition
aawartan.org - nepali forum

kazi

Postby kazi » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:02 am

oh.. thats good to know.. Thanks @Ganesha.
--

Return to “The Young Entrepreneur”