Glistening Example of Nepal's "Vegetable Strength"

Place where young entrepreneurs can come together, share information, network, seek new business and ideas
Ganesha

Glistening Example of Nepal's "Vegetable Strength"

Postby Ganesha » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:45 am

Organic Himalaya produces organic vegetables in Phulbari and "exports" it to Singapore every week and it has well-established a sustainable niche market for the product. For people like us, tired with the state of the country and economy, news like these are just not pleasant surprises but also provide a much needed dose of healthy optimism. Read more about it in Kunda Dixit's blog on the Nepali Times.
aawartan.org - nepali forum

kazi

Re: Glistening Example of Nepal's "Vegetable Strength"

Postby kazi » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:45 pm

This is indeed a wonderful example of entrepreneurship. Thanks for sharing, @Ganesha.
--
"Mother and motherland are more precious than heaven." But that does not mean we must cling to our mothers. The least I can do for Nepal is to bring awareness among the Nepali people. And this Nepali forum is the platform for me.

Ganesha

Postby Ganesha » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:55 pm

But the question we should be asking is, are there any other **obvious** projects that we could simply clone this idea with and bring about a change....anybody?

kazi

Postby kazi » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:49 am

But the question also might be, should we not also try to sustain what we already have? for example, the carpet industry that I have talked about earlier? Nepal has been known since the time of Kautilya for wool. I think we should perpetuate this.
--
"Mother and motherland are more precious than heaven." But that does not mean we must cling to our mothers. The least I can do for Nepal is to bring awareness among the Nepali people. And this Nepali forum is the platform for me.

Ganesha

Postby Ganesha » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:35 pm

Theoretically yes. Technically probably not.

In the carpet industry, that only component that truly comprises of Nepali input is labor. Wool, chemical, machines have to be bought internationally and markets too are abroad. The vegetable example however, has a very high percentage of Nepali input and thus has greater competitive advantage than anything else which has lesser Nepali input.

kazi

Postby kazi » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:22 am

I hope you are technically correct.
--

Return to “The Young Entrepreneur”