What is required to start Google, Facebook in Nepal?

Place where young entrepreneurs can come together, share information, network, seek new business and ideas
Ganesha

What is required to start Google, Facebook in Nepal?

Postby Ganesha » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:53 pm

Google came out from two people's Ph.d thesis. Facebook began as a teen's play. And today, both the companies, which are purely web based and largely American are a big part of our lives. In this series of posts and threads, I call upon all aawartaners to express what is required of Nepal in order to create and nurture such companies.
aawartan.org - nepali forum

aapam

Re: What is required to start Google, Facebook in Nepal?

Postby aapam » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:26 pm

deregulation and freedom....

aapam

Postby aapam » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:28 pm

and a strong currency like dollar backed by robust military......

kazi

Postby kazi » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:07 am

and perhaps, more specifically, a strong business model backed by industry (for financial backing) as well as government (for policy support).
--
"Mother and motherland are more precious than heaven." But that does not mean we must cling to our mothers. The least I can do for Nepal is to bring awareness among the Nepali people. And this Nepali forum is the platform for me.

yalamber

Postby yalamber » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:20 pm

an idea

Ganesha

Postby Ganesha » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:01 am

Playing the devil around here so that we can figure more. Thanks for your wonderful comments.

@aapam - On deregulation and freedom: Nepal right now is as free as it can be. Appreciate if you can detail this proposition.

@kazi - Google did not have a business model for many years until they figured the text ads.

@yalamber - They say "ideas are worth nothing unless executed". Perhaps you want to elaborate on the type of idea you had in mind. Meanwhile, we welcome your first post. Thanks are due to you for finding out a flaw with PHPBB, the free software this forum is hosted on. Any new member's first few posts are not posted directly but sent for review to the admins, to check for spam, etc. Apparently, this does not happen when a user uses his OpenID account to login to the board, which is what you did in your case. But we are lucky to have found a credible aawartaner in you. ;)
aawartan.org - nepali forum

kazi

Postby kazi » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:38 am

I do not want to sound too argumentative, but when Google first appeared around 2000 and I was raving about it to one of my friends in the School of Management, he explained to me that the idea behind Google was not technology, but a strong business model. It was then. But I may be wrong.
--
"Mother and motherland are more precious than heaven." But that does not mean we must cling to our mothers. The least I can do for Nepal is to bring awareness among the Nepali people. And this Nepali forum is the platform for me.

aapam

Postby aapam » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:55 pm

@Kazi:

When I say FREEDOM; its real freedom. Nepal is not still free. We got rid of a monarch; that is not freedom; but replaced by many feudal politicians who are like or wanna be the monarch. It is very obvious. Still in interim constitution there is no absolute promise of freedom. Government should be structured in such a way that they are there to serve us; we the people are not government's subject. We hire government to serve us. When you have a brilliant idea of starting a project; you should be able to do it without any hassles or red tape. If there is real freedom of doing things; many people would try different ideas and see if that works; trials and tribulations are part of life and that's how we grow. You might know how difficult it is to start a business in Nepal with due process; and when you say you are going to start a business you are assumed that you have lots of money and every one wants to take bribe from you to get your work done...

When I say strong dollar backed by a robust military... it has a very deeper meaning.

Dollar is a world reserve currency. It means it is the currency of the world. If you really ponder what is a real currency of Nepal; it is dollar. When we trade even with India we need dollar. When we trade with any other country outside Nepal we need dollar.That's true for every other country in this world with few exceptions may be... The advantage you have being US citizen is that you have a strong dollar which can buy anything anywhere in the world. So you can hire any smart person, brain, technology for so cheap...

For everyone's information.... there is no difference in intrinsic value of dollar and Nepali Rupee. Both are pieces of paper not backed by commodity. The only basic difference between these two currencies is: US currency is backed by US military and oil. When I say US military; it means that US will invade, strike and destroy a country if they trade in anything other than dollar example includes Iraq and Iran; US has more than 700 military bases all over the world.....US interestingly convinced the Arab world in the 70's to use dollar while trading oil which made dollar so valuable. This is how dollar has become strong currency in nutshell.

What it means to starting a business like Google or Facebook in Nepal: Since initial investment for an average Joe is Nepal compared to the US is 70-80 times more expensive.......... and since we are not dominant force in the world; we won't be able to have so much influence over any thing...

I believe Facebook and Google are a by product of very long success of free market capitalism of the US... Just trying to achieve that kind of goal without really understanding how economy grows and what are inherent structural and systemic failures in our economy would be a naive strive.....

Let's say you want to start a project like Google right; first of all you don't have uninterrupted power supply at all in Nepal.....right how are you going to address this problem; here comes freedom; if government has stepped outside and had let general people or private sector to take that role, I can guarantee that we would never had this problem at all, in the first place. See when you are not free in real sense and when you are dependent so much on someone else like the government; this is what happens;;

Common Nepalese people don't get it. Government has no resources nor skills to provide anything. They live on our sweat through taxes. If the government is providing something it is not free; it will cost and that cost will be shared by everyone; actually government takes money or resources from competent people and distributes wealth to incompetent people. I don't have any problem with charities if any private citizens or citizen wants to do this; but I have a problem when government or politicians do charity (meaning distributing social welfare; things a like) for their own personal benefits. Let's take example of United States of America; this country became super power within 200 years of its birth. It was because it used to be a free country. People enjoyed coming here and living here. Every immigrant could come and had freedom to work and earn their good life. Government was small, red tape was small; the country grew very fast........for more than 200 hundred years in this country there was no income tax.... so whatever you earned was yours; so you were motivated to work and earn more.......

Government's job was to protect individual citizens rights to live free, trade freely and travel freely.......

I think i can go on and on...... if you have any questions you can ask me and I will go from there.....

I would recommend you all to read a book entitled How economy grows and why it crashes or you can watch you tube video of this book (earlier edition ) " Why economy grows and why it doesn't" [PDF size ~ 5MB]. I believe this is a must book for any one who dreams to become successful entrepreneur.

Last edited by Ganesha on Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added links.

kazi

Postby kazi » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:22 am

@aapam, it has been some time since I wrote on this thread and there is a chance my comments are out of context. Therefore, I shall bootstrap from you latest post.

Well I have a few questions:
1. Freedom. How do you define freedom? And then, who is free? Is there a free country? At the risk of seeming too metaphysical, is anyone really free? But even speaking practically, I do not believe there is a general definition of freedom that applies to all. We are always talking relatively about Nepal. Would you have been able to blame the government and taxes fifteen years ago? Maybe.. but you would not have lived long after that. I can see how freedom or the lack thereof is going to affect entrepreneurship in Nepal, but this is just a basic understanding. But this is too general if not too vague.
2. The West had 200 years to become an economic and military superpower. But we cannot say it is just because of freedom. And they had resources. And we cannot say this current state came easily. We are just a nascent democracy. I think we should ride the wave and persistently aim for the freedom that we cherish. After all, we are in the process.

Apart from these queries, I agree with your focus on economy. But I also believe that economics is not totally free. It is dependent on other factors like education, governnance, resources, etc. I must comment you, @aapam, for sharing such a delightful book.
--

aapam

Postby aapam » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:34 pm

@Kazi:

Freedom means a degree to which a thing can move without obstructing from other sources, while in itself not obstructing others' freedoms.

Liberty is derived from freedom. It is a concept of freedom applied to a society. A society in which you are free to do whatever you want with your life and property (faculties; like skills, knowledge, education, land, talents etc) while not infringing upon the freedoms of others'.This applies to any behavior like travel, trade, speech etc.... This applies and is true to all human beings where ever they live. The natural rights of a human being; right to life, right to liberty and right to property are natural rights. It is pretty obvious that nature came to existence first before human being and we get these rights from the nature. After nature we came in existence, as an individuals and then society, and then government. Nature has never created us perfect but has provided us with life and natural resources to make our life better. We have to, on our own strive to make our life better and using our faculties or property ( like skills, talents,) combined with natural resources that is around us to better our life. These our natural rights and no one has any right to obstruct us when doing so. This is the whole idea of free country. There should be no law which should be obstructing these natural rights. So any man made constitution or law that contradicts with these fundamental rights are deemed unjust law and they should not carry any value....

As long as human being can practice freely what he desires to do; he will be happier. One might make wrong decisions in life but when he realizes that, he will correct his path and will choose the path that makes him happier. The very idea of liberty demands peace, because there shouldn't be aggression.

Government or the state is that fiction by which everyone tries to live at the expense of others. One of the examples of free country used to be United States of America at the time when the country was founded.... It used to be the smallest government on the planet earth. You can see how quickly this country became prosperous and people were happier and every one wanted to come to the United States of America. This is not the case anymore when the US government grew grew to the point where it became the most powerful country in the world and the freedom and civil liberties have been progressively taken away from the individuals in the name of patriot act, terrorism and things a like...

It is very important to understand where do government gets its power. If you believe in liberty and natural rights; we give power to the government to function. But majority of population is misled to believe that government gives us right to exist and we get power from the government.

If government comes to you and tells you what to do; many children you can have; how much money you can earn or how much money you can save in your home;how much gold you can buy; how much land can you own; how much money you should spend on this thing and that thing; will you be a happy person ?

Democracy is tyranny of 51% over 49%. It might be better form of governance but not the best. We need constitutional republic which basically means the power of government is limited by constitution. We the people give power to the government via Constitution. Whatever power that is not given on constitution should lie on the citizens. But many people think that constitution gives power to us from the government. I believe that it is other way round.

Regarding your other question; West took 200 years to become super power; and had lots of resources.. In my analysis just having resources wouldn't make you prosperous. Whether you have opportunity to use that resources for your benefit is a trillion dollar question. The continent Africa is the richest continent in the earth in natural resources but it is one of the poorest too. Seara leone has biggest diamond mines in the earth but it is one of the poorest countries in the world. It again boils down to freedom. Does African people have free access to their resources; certainly not; their governments collaborating with the Westerners deprive their own citizens of those resources and the Western companies are living on the blood and sweats of African nations.

Let's get back to Nepal. Nepal is no way poorer in the resources compared with any Western Countries. Our resources are not oil, gold or silver. I agree with that. Our resources are waters, and natural beauty which we are not able to cash. Himalayan belt can be the world's the most attractive entertainment park... People from all over the world would come here for vacation. Water is so much abundant in Nepal and we can run micro hydro project in almost every VDC and generate electricity so cheap. In Himalayan belt we know that there is a huge source of wind power which we can use to sustain various development project... We can use mountains to grow cash crops like apples, coffee. oranges, bananas and fruits like such........ I am sure that there many Nepalese entrepreneurs who have ideas like these; they have resources or capital or money; but are obstructed by bureaucrats, government regulations. and things alike... politicians... and you don't have any working environment.....

When human being has freedom to work freely and entitled to get the fruits of his labor; there alone will be prosperity, development and there alone will be foundations for project like google and facebook. When someone else comes in between human being and his property or labor; there dwells unhappiness, poverty, lawlessness and injustices .... Nepal is a very good example this...

At the end I would recommend the book entitled THE LAW by Bastiat.

Return to “The Young Entrepreneur”