Carpet industry

Place where young entrepreneurs can come together, share information, network, seek new business and ideas
kazi

Carpet industry

Postby kazi » Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:27 pm

I have a friend who runs a fairly successful carpet industry in Nepal, at least it used to be successful. Recently some hoodlums encouraged the workers to go on strike for better facilities. So what my friend did is to convince them to lay off with a severance pay that was 60% higher than that of the government severence rates. Initially the workers accepted, but when the time came for lay off they desisted citing inconsequential reasons. Upon further investigation, my friend discovered that the recurrent problem is caused by the parties that are currently against the government. The plan is to somehow cause instability. If workers are not laid off, they will have more unsatisfied people to take to the streets.

Entrepreneurs in today's Nepal are sick and tired to the bone. I asked if FNCCI should not be doing something about it. But I was informed that indeed FNCCI has reached an agreement with the anti-government, but its just in paper. Is there really no hope for our country? is all I could think of.
--
"Mother and motherland are more precious than heaven." But that does not mean we must cling to our mothers. The least I can do for Nepal is to bring awareness among the Nepali people. And this Nepali forum is the platform for me.

kazi

Re: Carpet industry

Postby kazi » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:58 am

Like @rrryan said in another discussion, the bottomline for most of the issues seems to be money. Whats wrong with the government and the anti-government? In other words, whats wrong with the political leaders? Does everything boil down to money and power? Its a sad state of affairs.
--
"Mother and motherland are more precious than heaven." But that does not mean we must cling to our mothers. The least I can do for Nepal is to bring awareness among the Nepali people. And this Nepali forum is the platform for me.

kazi

Postby kazi » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:00 pm

I was watching an interview of Michael Moore by Charlie Rose and one thing really stuck in my mind. He said that the USA is a capitalist country. It has always been a capitalist country and there is nothing wrong with that. A specific example he gave was the shoe factory. Everybody needs shoes.. comfortable, durable, yet cost effective. If the shoe maker can produce shoes and satisfy the customers, he would make a lot of money and that is how capitalism is explained simply. Most profit making businesses are modelled in that way. But, Michael says, today's economy is based not on tangible products, but on speculation.. about making money. Who ultimately pays the price? Its definitely not the top 5% of the wealthy who own 95% of the wealth.
--

kazi

Postby kazi » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:22 am

I just wanted to share some gossip from some time ago. There is an Indian wool brand called "Megha Wool" in whose ads Manisha Koirala had appeared. They say, the company buys wool from Nepal at low prices and then sells them back to Nepal at inflated prices. Why can't we process our own wool and produce high quality wool?
--

Ganesha

Postby Ganesha » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:40 pm

I am not aware of a coordinated market for wool in Nepal (like a "haat bazaar" or something similar). Don't even know who sells it (individuals?)and also have not heard of Nepali sheep shearers. Does anyone know?
aawartan.org - nepali forum

kazi

Postby kazi » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:20 am

Neither am I, but I couldn't care less. The point is that our raw materials are processed and fed back to us as prepared goods at an inflated price.
--

Return to “The Young Entrepreneur”