Increasing Bandwidth Across Nepali Cities through Fiber

Place where young entrepreneurs can come together, share information, network, seek new business and ideas
Ganesha

Increasing Bandwidth Across Nepali Cities through Fiber

Postby Ganesha » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:17 am

Does anybody know what is the progress in expansion of Nepal's fiber optics network? I am not aware of plans to connect cities yet apart from a link from India to Kathmandu. (Perhaps Biratnagar is included). I would love to see someone do an intracity fiber optical cable link in Nepal (fiber optics is cheap nowadays)and I would suggest they use the NEA pylons to carry the cable. First, this will reduce the cost of cable laying as you do not have to dig (and that saves you from a lot of hassle digging up in our kind of terrain) up. Second, people are scared of the pylons so you can be sure no one will cut them up as part of their Nepal Bandh program. Third, you will only have to negotiate with one large entity instead of dealing with thousands of land owners on the ground on whose piece of land the cable would be running through. Fourth, capacity increase would be as easy as increasing number of cables or laying dark fiber in the first go to be lit later.
aawartan.org - nepali forum

Ganesha

Re: Increasing Bandwidth Across Nepali Cities through Fiber

Postby Ganesha » Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:17 pm

There seems to be some progress in this. Nepal is establishing an optical link with China and also planning to lay optical fiber in the country, though the article does not give a firm date.

However, I am confused as to what benefits we will have from the Chinese link. For example, the overseas telecom charge is still so high even when we have had the Indian optical link for quite some time now.
aawartan.org - nepali forum

Return to “The Young Entrepreneur”