Games.. the future?

Place to share your experience, issues, beliefs
kazi

Games.. the future?

Postby kazi » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:18 pm

I was watching this video on how much online games will be influencing the real-worlds' future, and, I was surprised to know about the volume of transactions taken up by these online games today. Any takers?
--
"Mother and motherland are more precious than heaven." But that does not mean we must cling to our mothers. The least I can do for Nepal is to bring awareness among the Nepali people. And this Nepali forum is the platform for me.

Ganesha

Re: Games.. the future?

Postby Ganesha » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:49 pm

The enthusiasm in the speaker made me jealous. He spoke really well.

I did not know that games were so big with facebook and that there was so much money involved. What really hit me was the points system he mentioned and the risk that we might end up as a being which devours and hankers after such virtual points in order to complete any task.
aawartan.org - nepali forum

kazi

Postby kazi » Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:16 am

What I could not decide was whether this guy was serious or joking about online games encroaching into every aspect of the real life. Even today, the opportunities and risks involved in online identities is very much real. And this reality sinks a little deeper having watched this video.
--
"Mother and motherland are more precious than heaven." But that does not mean we must cling to our mothers. The least I can do for Nepal is to bring awareness among the Nepali people. And this Nepali forum is the platform for me.

Ganesha

Postby Ganesha » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:15 pm

At first, I thought this perhaps was some sort of joke. I also did not feel that the guy had much brains. I thought he must be some CEO or a marketing guy. The funny part though was that I kept on watching it. And then it suddenly dawned on to me that what he was saying was/could be real and realized he is no ordinary stuff.

The fact about games taking our personal space is what scared me, like you. And he made me feel and think that it was in fact possible and it could be real. I don't much play games but there are a whole lot that do. A proof of this is the number of invites I get for farmville from people on my facebook account.

Now, for the rest of us who don't play games. Look at the credit cards that we own. They have points. The grocery store has points system in its card. The pharmacist has points. Fast food chain have points. Fueling stations have cards that have points. Everything is points, really! Now, if all these disparate range of card points could be hooked with a pseduo-real gaming experience, will we not be playing games? ( I think that is what he meant to say one point.) And the thought really scares me as my mind floats to the movie, Matrix.
aawartan.org - nepali forum

kazi

Postby kazi » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:22 am

And did you notice the educational games? No tests, no quizzes, no homework.. just games. And the surprising thing is that it worked re. I just realized a whole other dynamics going on which we are already influenced by, but do not realize. Its not a totally new paradigm.. this train by rewards.. but the way that the online games have crept up on us is alarmingly creepy.
--

Umesh

Postby Umesh » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:02 am

kazi wrote:And did you notice the educational games? No tests, no quizzes, no homework.. just games. And the surprising thing is that it worked re.

I guess the presenter was *not* saying 'no tests, no quizzes, no homework... just games'. He was saying that the grading was no more just a mark out of 100 or whatever. Instead, the marks were given in terms of experience points, for example, 300 EP for HW1 (say). And they all added up and finally the grade was decided at the end of term (or year).

Even before watching his video, I thought along the same line of the first part of this presentation; and I had talked about this with a few friends of mine ... this was clicked in my mind when facebook offered me to buy a *LIMITED EDITION VIRTUAL TEDDY BEAR* for a sale price of JUST $1!!! which I could send to a friend of my choice (virtually, of course). They claimed it was limited edition because they would sell only 1 million of those virtual BS.

The second part of the presentation (his imagination of future) was new to me.

kazi

Postby kazi » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:16 am

yes @Umesh, he called it EP. For me, the crossover between virtual and real BS was less of a surprise than the business aspect created by the games.
--

Return to “The Young Professional”