Your dream project in Nepal

Place to share your experience, issues, beliefs
kazi

Re: Your dream project in Nepal

Postby kazi » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:52 am

rrrryan, so true. In this day and age, it is intimidating even to talk because we are forever reminded that we might not be able to walk the talk. But nevertheless, we have to keep on dreaming.. and as Langston Hughes said, *if dreams die, life is like a broken winged bird that cannot fly*
--
"Mother and motherland are more precious than heaven." But that does not mean we must cling to our mothers. The least I can do for Nepal is to bring awareness among the Nepali people. And this Nepali forum is the platform for me.

Ganesha

Postby Ganesha » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:05 am

rrrryan wrote:Thanks for the welcome. These things move so slowly, but how many people stick to it and really make a difference? It is intimidating to try to do things and so easy to talk about them.

It is very understandable to have such thoughts when you are smart and full of energy and living in today's Nepal. But then, the first step in the production of something or anything for that matter is the act of thinking, better said - dreaming. So love your dreams, remain optimistic and try realizing it, not forgetting that you have a lifetime to do it.
aawartan.org - nepali forum

kazi

Postby kazi » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:55 am

But again, just for the sake of argument, there is the saying, "The only way to make your dreams come true is to wake up and start working"
--
"Mother and motherland are more precious than heaven." But that does not mean we must cling to our mothers. The least I can do for Nepal is to bring awareness among the Nepali people. And this Nepali forum is the platform for me.

kazi

Postby kazi » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:36 am

I just read this news which says that the price perl Gflop of computing is almost ten times better than the IBM 2-cell configuration.
--

Ganesha

Postby Ganesha » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:15 pm

Amazing piece of news - using PS3s to buying cheap processing power, that too, by the American Department of Defense! In addition, the latest Linux kernels and major Linux distributions do run on it unmodified. Seems like I gotta buy one to toy around. :)

kazi

Postby kazi » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:53 am

yeah @Ganesha, send me one too.. haha.. and if possible have other people send me PS3s so that I can build my own machine.

In the same thread of thoughts, I was also wondering whether virtualization on a single powerful machine would not be more cost effective.. hmm...
--

Ganesha

Postby Ganesha » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:58 pm

Virtualization is primarily used by companies when you have to setup an individual server and you know that it will be only be rarely used upto its full processing capability. You then collect a bunch of such applications that need individual installations, virtualize them and put them on one physical machine with lots of memory and CPU. That way, you will use the host machine's processing power more efficiently and save on cooling costs (the assumption is not all applications will want to use all CPU at the same time). And for cases where you need raw processing power, you want your application to access hardware, with as less abstraction as possible so that a minimum of CPU is wasted on the overheads to manage the layers. Thus virtualization in this case is just not practical.

kazi

Postby kazi » Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:36 pm

hmm.. interesting.. I have to do more research on this.
--

Ganesha

Postby Ganesha » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:22 pm

And by the way, virtual machines can be migrated live! Isn't that just wonderful, moving a complete machine, with its state intact to another place and running it again with barely noticeable effect on the user's end? How about freezing life and restarting a year later to find the person in the exact state you froze him!

kazi

Postby kazi » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:58 pm

haha.. humor from @Ganesha.. its good..
--

Return to “The Young Professional”