Dictionary of sorts

Nepal specific discussions on culture, spirituality and the arts
kazi

Dictionary of sorts

Postby kazi » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:27 am

I was not sure where to put this thread and I have arbitrarily placed it under this topic hoping to get maximum responses from readers of this topic.

The main reason I am starting this thread (despite the fact that there are so many online dictionaries) is because I am interested in the cultural aspects of meanings also and not only the academic and precise definitions. For example, if I were trying to find a name for my daughter (only planning), I really would like a name like "Suri." Actually, I think Tom & Katie's daughter has the name, as has one of my friends' daughter. I do not know if there is any meaning to that word in Sanskrit language and its derivatives. But in Japanese, it means "river," or so I am told. I'd really be interested in knowing if anyone has heard of "Suri" in our context, or anything similar to it. This is only one of the scenarios in which we need this thread more than just a dictionary.

I hope to this thread is used in such manner. Having started this thread, let me ask my fellow aawartaners the meaning (or any relavant information) of the following:
1. aawartan
2. aarnav
Last edited by kazi on Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
--
"Mother and motherland are more precious than heaven." But that does not mean we must cling to our mothers. The least I can do for Nepal is to bring awareness among the Nepali people. And this Nepali forum is the platform for me.

Ganesha

Re: Dictionary of sorts

Postby Ganesha » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:48 pm

Just to let you know that "Suri" in Nepal is the word used sometimes in the villages to call out a cat (not a pet but one that lives in the house/community) when you want to give it some milk or give food remains, out of spontaneous concern of the animal.
aawartan.org - nepali forum

kazi

Postby kazi » Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:37 pm

haha.. interesting..

How does Tejaswi sound for a girl? Is there any other meaning besides *brilliance*?
--
"Mother and motherland are more precious than heaven." But that does not mean we must cling to our mothers. The least I can do for Nepal is to bring awareness among the Nepali people. And this Nepali forum is the platform for me.

Ganesha

Postby Ganesha » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:47 pm

Sounds fine but have never heard of anyone being called with that name. It is a general adjective. Just to give you an idea of how I feel, here is a question for you to ponder, "Would you like to call your daughter, "brilliance"?"

The meaning is too common, and does not speak much about anything specific. Tejaswi is connotative of a broad trait. Suggestion is, find something that is specific and remember the word "niche" while searching. There was a teacher in my school days who named his son Ravana. Although it is shocking and looks unpleasant the first time, there were many grand and good traits in that "asura" and perhaps the teacher wanted people to think about it whenever they called out his son's name. Of course that is an extreme by some standards but I hope you got the point. As I always have believed and say, a dash of whimsicality in life is an essential ingredient to making it a memorable experience. Go for it!

kazi

Postby kazi » Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:11 am

I was browsing through and realized I had forgotten to respond to the response. Anyway, here we go (just for the sake of argument, in a good way of course).. I am not understanding your point. On one hand you say the name should be catchy, and yet, if Tejaswi is a name you have never heard of, you still think its too bland (broad was the word).

I think very often parents name babies centered on themselves, and which, I believe, is a cultural degradation. The name should be based on qualities of the baby. Like for example, in Ramayana, the naame Raama was given to him by a rishi who saw that the baby was a given of peace. Even names like Kaale, which is seemingly derogatory, is interesting if it reflects the baby. Krishna is named so because he was dark and look how he turned out to be. So, long, short, broad, narrow, does not really matter.. it matters that the name is in harmony with the baby.

Also, I think babies should be given generic names, not too specific. Specially, in this day and age, I think the baby name reflects on the nature of the parents and that is something that I have been very observing very keenly. Its almost like a ritual to give the baby a name that is rare. And, the peak of this trend is the names of hollywood babies. I just cant imagine how the kid is going to deal with a strange names like "Blanket". Once again, its more about the baby and less about the parent.
--

Ganesha

Postby Ganesha » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:49 pm

I realize now after reading your post that a name could be anything. Anything parents can dream of. So find something that you like and believe in and you should be alright. Seems like I was wading too much into the pseudo-realm of thoughts and logic, leaving common sense behind.

kazi

Postby kazi » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:12 pm

I think so @Ganesha. I think duita different mood thiyo in this thread.. anyway, they were both interesting. But no, really, I am looking for a short, sweet, meaningful name that is a viable alternative. Actual name choose garna lai ta time chha ni.
--

kazi

Postby kazi » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:01 pm

I just noticed that the latest member is Ishan Adhikary. I kind of like the name Ishan. Among the numerous names I have pondered about, this name is one of the most beautiful to me because I have seen this name among Hindu as well as Islamic names. The exact meaning I do not know, but I think Mahadev is called Ishan. For Islam, I think the name means kindness.

I'd like to request others to please share other names like this.
--

Return to “The Arts, Culture & Spirituality”