Parijat and "Shirish Ko Phool"

Nepal specific discussions on culture, spirituality and the arts
vaidehi

Re: Parijat and "Shirish Ko Phool"

Postby vaidehi » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:53 am

"It touches someone's life and gives its all to the one."

it's really true.What a wonderful thought kazi.I agree and thank you because it is what I believe.

Love is eternal and it touches your soul.

kazi

Postby kazi » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:28 pm

Can anyone briefly give the story here? Maybe we'll find something more interesting to ponder.
--
"Mother and motherland are more precious than heaven." But that does not mean we must cling to our mothers. The least I can do for Nepal is to bring awareness among the Nepali people. And this Nepali forum is the platform for me.

Ganesha

Parijat, "Shirish Ko Phool" and her poems

Postby Ganesha » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:51 pm

There is one place in the novel where there is a description of the protagonist leaving the Burmese wife to return to Nepal. I don't exactly remember the lines but I know that she was confident and bold and had told him that she would take care of him (feed him with "Bhyaguta" and rice) and there was no need for him to ever go out and work - all from an illiterate village woman. And he kicks her ("Chhati ma boot") on the chest, she is bleeding and leaves her, thinking later what might have happened to her. Somewhere I felt that the protagonist was deeply respectful of her and yet he wanted to use his freedom, just to falsely show to himself that he was the stronger one between the two. The woman since has lived in my memory as an instance of courage, confidence, sacrifice and love.

But you will have to read it yourself kazi! It's less than 80 pages in Nepali. Don't know where you could get a copy though. But while I was searching for Parijat on the net, I did come up with some interesting links. This one from our very own Gorkhapatra talks in detail about Parijat and Shirish Ko Phool. This one called Sixty-sixth page of ‘Blue Mimosa’ talks about a missing page on the print edition of Shirish Ko Phool. And they even have an English translation, a book in fact, though I could not find how or where to buy it from. And the last link is a collection of translation of many beautiful Nepali poems including some from Parijat herself!

I did find a lot of references to University of Maryland or Maryland University that is supposed to be having the translation of Shirish Ko Phool in their curriculum but the university sites themselves have no references. If any of you find something, do post it.

And for you kazi, here is a link from where I suggest you read the lines in Nepali (Don't worry about reading the English portion.)

And to end this post, here is an excerpt from "Himalayan Voices: An Introduction to Modern Nepali Literature" by Michael Hutt

The majority of Parijat's poems spring from her physical condition and from a profound atheism and moral despair. "In the arms of the Death" (Mrityuka Angalama) expresses a hope that the doctrine of reincarnation is not true and that death will be a final release:

Code: Select all

How eager this flower is to fall,
how it longs to cut short the winter day,
to pass in a half-conscious night;
Death returns, defeated,
from the hands of Life -
alas, Man does not die.

May she shine on.
aawartan.org - nepali forum

kazi

Postby kazi » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:38 am

Thanks @vaidehi for your kind words.

And thanks @Ganesha for the bootstrapping. I think I remember a little more of it. It reminds me nihilistic tendencies embedded in the story. Specially touching was the part where *the flower wants to fall* and yet having touched someone, the touch lives on forever carrying the fallen to eternity.
--
"Mother and motherland are more precious than heaven." But that does not mean we must cling to our mothers. The least I can do for Nepal is to bring awareness among the Nepali people. And this Nepali forum is the platform for me.

Ganesha

Postby Ganesha » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:16 pm

I wonder why it has to be that - the need for sacrifice.

Perhaps sacrifice is synonymous with tragedy that it sounds so wonderful to humanity. What a pity, nobody knowingly wants to sacrifice even a bit of his being and yet sacrifice has always been taken with beauty, however painful it might be. Perhaps we are just consumers, consumers of love, or others sacrifice, of well wishers, of praises that we love sacrifice so greatly. But only when the effects of others sacrifice is being consumed by us and not the other way round.
aawartan.org - nepali forum

kazi

Postby kazi » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:12 pm

@Ganesha, I think *self-less love* is another word for "sacrifice". I think it is akin to affection that a mother shows her child, a lover's passion, a devotee's faith, etc. I have never been able to fully comprehend and rationalize it. But contrary to your reasoning, I think sacrifice gives much more to the producer than the consumer. You might have been talking in general, but since I know you, I can safely say that as a parent, one really gains much from the sacrifice to the child. Its the affection that renders transparency to that sacrifice, which, in light of a third party, is significant.
--

Return to “The Arts, Culture & Spirituality”