Parijat and "Shirish Ko Phool"

Nepal specific discussions on culture, spirituality and the arts
Ganesha

Parijat and "Shirish Ko Phool"

Postby Ganesha » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:52 pm

Anyone has read "Shirish Ko Phool", we could discuss it here.

When I first read it in my teens years, one of the questions that haunted me was, how could she at age 19(?) know so well the male psyche?

The facebook page of Parijat has some interesting notes. http://www.facebook.com/pages/PARIJAT/45827887473
aawartan.org - nepali forum

vaidehi

Re: Parijat and "Shirish Ko Phool"

Postby vaidehi » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:57 pm

Isn't this the one where the girl dies at the end? I read this novel because somebody has suggested me to read.

Ganesha

Postby Ganesha » Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:20 pm

It is, vaidehi. How did you like it?

kazi

Postby kazi » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:59 pm

Oh, Bishnu Kumari Waiba (name corrected) wrote the book at 19 years? Thats astounding. At that age, I was no more than a crazy impulsive adolescent.

The book, I never could read completely. But my spouse was so engrossed in the book that she used to wake me up late at night and read sections of it to me.. :) haha.. those were the days.
Last edited by kazi on Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--
"Mother and motherland are more precious than heaven." But that does not mean we must cling to our mothers. The least I can do for Nepal is to bring awareness among the Nepali people. And this Nepali forum is the platform for me.

Ganesha

Postby Ganesha » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:38 pm

Lucky you. Did you find anything that strike you?

vaidehi

Postby vaidehi » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:50 am

"Shirish ko phool" is a gem in nepali literature

When I finished reading this novel, I was wondering why she die but later realize/thought that to understand this novel, one has to undergo the pain in love and only who knows the true meaning of love and life.
By the way, Can we have the opinions about “what is true and real meaning of love???? :)

Ganesha

Postby Ganesha » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:29 am

@vaidehi If you want to talk about it in the context of Parijat and Shirish Ko Phool, you can do it here. If you want to discuss about love in general, you could start a new topic in the Arts, Culture and Spirituality section.

vaidehi

Postby vaidehi » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:20 pm

Okay let me make this in a new section,but where do you think its come, in "Art,Spirituality" or "General chat"section?
also do u think that this is good topic to be put in discussion??

kazi

Postby kazi » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:13 pm

I do not remember the whole story in detail. But I remember discussing how Bishnu Kumari Waiba may have incorporated parts of her life in the book. Even her pen-name, "parijat" is a flower that withers with the slightest breeze. And in that *falling of the flower* belies its true value. Similarly, the *shirish ko fuul* is also a flower that will wither the moment it is disturbed. It touches someone's life and gives its all to the one.

And one more thing, perhaps this is love.. something that is eternal.. we really do not remember what the event was about but we remember how we felt at that time.
Last edited by kazi on Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--
"Mother and motherland are more precious than heaven." But that does not mean we must cling to our mothers. The least I can do for Nepal is to bring awareness among the Nepali people. And this Nepali forum is the platform for me.

Ganesha

Postby Ganesha » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:03 pm

It touches someone's life and gives its all to the one.

Wonderfully said kazi.

Return to “The Arts, Culture & Spirituality”