Ramnam Satya Ho!

Nepal specific discussions on culture, spirituality and the arts
Ganesha

Ramnam Satya Ho!

Postby Ganesha » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:41 pm

Why would they chant this mantra only at the time of one's death and never once in a person's lifetime, if I am correct. The meaning is just, "he is the only one that is true" or "he is the only truth and nothing else", right? And yet, such a powerful chant is not used at all except in death in the Nepali society and perhaps the Indian too with an almost similar "Ramnam Satya Hai". Is it because they have been chanting this only in death that such a potent mantra has now been associated with demise and thus categorized as "ashubha" (meaning inauspicious) in daily life? Or is it just that we are lame and ill-educated that we do what our "purkhas" have always done and not give second thoughts to it anymore... what do you say..
aawartan.org - nepali forum

kazi

Re: Ramnam Satya Ho!

Postby kazi » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:18 pm

Good observation, @Ganesha. It has struck my mind also. I think this is a typical case of the diversity issue raised by @krajbhan. Culture has much to do with it. Fortunately for those of us who are on the cusp of modernity, cultural influence has been, to a larger extent, our own choice. Some choose not to follow culture, and some do. And for those that do choose to use culture, do so with a critical eye. Therein lies the secret of our openness to truth.
--
"Mother and motherland are more precious than heaven." But that does not mean we must cling to our mothers. The least I can do for Nepal is to bring awareness among the Nepali people. And this Nepali forum is the platform for me.

Return to “The Arts, Culture & Spirituality”