"Sacho Kata Gayechha"? (Where did the key move to?)

Nepal specific discussions on culture, spirituality and the arts
Ganesha

"Sacho Kata Gayechha"? (Where did the key move to?)

Postby Ganesha » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:43 pm

I met a wise man a few days ago. He said, pointing at our custom of not really taking up one's responsibilities to look at our language for a possible answer. He mentioned a phrase like, "Sacho kata gayechha?" (Where did the key move to) and joked that we humanize even keys because we do not care about accountability and responsibility. He added that we have grown used to viewing the world like this, doing things but not taking any accountability for it. This rather tiny remark set my mind into some deep thoughts. I felt this was very true and that perhaps we are shaped by the language we use. And if that really is the case, we might have some real hard lesson to take before we can emerge out of this current mess. Can you think of other such phrases? Do you think phrases like these really matter?
aawartan.org - nepali forum

kazi

Re: "Sacho Kata Gayechha"? (Where did the key move to?)

Postby kazi » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:43 am

Very interesting interpretation on the language perspective. Although I have oft times pondered on the significance of language on civilizationa and vice versa, I had not thought of it this way. The reasoning does fit this particular example. I think this sort of *humanization* occurs in many other languages including Hindi, Maithili, Newari and even English, not to mention the languages that have genders for inanimate objects and places.
--
"Mother and motherland are more precious than heaven." But that does not mean we must cling to our mothers. The least I can do for Nepal is to bring awareness among the Nepali people. And this Nepali forum is the platform for me.

Return to “The Arts, Culture & Spirituality”