Cultural Tidbits - Did you know that...

Nepal specific discussions on culture, spirituality and the arts
kazi

Cultural Tidbits - Did you know that...

Postby kazi » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:13 am

1.Vikram Sambat is a lunisolar calendar that indicates the phases of the moon within the sidereal year.

kazi

Re: Cultural Tidbits - Did you know that...

Postby kazi » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:37 am

I had been wondering for quite some time why, in the Mahabharata, Kunti and Madri had sons from Yamaraj, Vaayu, Indra, and, the Ashwini Kumars. Its not that I have anything against these gods, but the question in my mind is why this specific ones? I think I just realized the reason: they are the illustrious heroes from the *Devasur Sangram*.
--
"Mother and motherland are more precious than heaven." But that does not mean we must cling to our mothers. The least I can do for Nepal is to bring awareness among the Nepali people. And this Nepali forum is the platform for me.

Ganesha

Postby Ganesha » Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:14 pm

I never knew it. Thx kazi. However, I have always been mesmerized by Santana Dharma's views towards the good and the evil. I was very surprised that day when I first learnt, many years ago that the "Asuras" and the "Devs" originated from the same father. And that Asuras have, despite their acts, been always taken with subtle reverence. Part solution to this seemingly contradictory stance came when I read the Gita in which the lord has famously said, "the good and the bad both originate from me but they are not in me, they don't affect me."

In the famous "Samundra Manthan" when the gods and the devils were both toiling hard, two things originated - "amrit" (elixir) and poison. Look at the dualilty/contradiction here too. And then the story becomes even more complex when they say they had to find someone to contain the "poison" which Lord Shiva took care of. Now, in thought-processes of us ordinary humans, we automatically tend to think why would there be poison coming out when there was elixir originating simultaneously? Why would they need someone to consume it? Why could they not just leave it like that and consume the elixir only? But then, this just reflects the very nature of life (would you want to leave spent nuclear fuel in the yard of the reactor?) and all the teachings want us to understand and comprehend this basic and powerful element of life. Hence I tend to believe that, it is in line with this contradiction of life that Kunti and Madri would have kids from the god of death. Care to explain a bit about the "Devasur Sangram"?
aawartan.org - nepali forum

kazi

Postby kazi » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:36 am

I am ignorant on the sacred texts of the Hindus and I am not interested in the stories themselves. Therefore, I am unable to respond to your request suitably. However, I am interested in the origin, interpretation & evolution of these elaborations so that I may be able to unite differences and interpret it with a modern world perspective... separating fact from fiction and their implications... somewhat like your interpretation of duality. For example, whether or not Kunti, Madri and their children existed or not is irrelevant... and maybe fiction, for that matter. But within that context, its a fact that they chose specific ones the available pool of 3.3 million. And I was not able to understand why those specific ones. But I think I understand now.

Thank you for your interpretation. I had not quite seen it that way... and honestly I have to say that I disagree with your perspective a little bit: because Yamaraj is also known as Dharma-raaj in that context. Nevertheless, I agree with you about the existence of duality in many aspects of Sanatana Dharma, which is to say, the cycle of life/death.

And regarding your concern about the exilir and poison, you have to seek out why the churning actually took place in the first place.
--
"Mother and motherland are more precious than heaven." But that does not mean we must cling to our mothers. The least I can do for Nepal is to bring awareness among the Nepali people. And this Nepali forum is the platform for me.

Return to “The Arts, Culture & Spirituality”