what is Ghode Jatra about?

Nepal specific discussions on culture, spirituality and the arts
kazi

what is Ghode Jatra about?

Postby kazi » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:01 am

Ghode Jatra has a strange allure for people from Lalitpur. Although I have never seen the jatra first-hand, those that have tell me that an intoxicated one-eyed horse is made to run around the Balkumari temple. Now, this is a very strange and alien to me. The first thing that came to my mind as a sensitive young kid was whether the poor horse was blind at birth or by some accident or worse, did somebody gouge out the eye for the purposes of the Jatra.

I would be happy to know the story on which this Jatra is based. Has anyone heard anything about it?
--
"Mother and motherland are more precious than heaven." But that does not mean we must cling to our mothers. The least I can do for Nepal is to bring awareness among the Nepali people. And this Nepali forum is the platform for me.

Ganesha

Re: what is Ghode Jatra about?

Postby Ganesha » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:54 pm

Take it as some primitive form of enjoyment that has never changed. And there are lots of it like that around the world.
aawartan.org - nepali forum

kazi

Re: what is Ghode Jatra about?

Postby kazi » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:45 pm

Thanks for the thought, but I think thats only a part of the story. I recently read somewhere (non-formal sources) that in ancient times demons used to kidnap young children. So, the people caught the demons and killed it under the hoof of the horse. The current culture of have horses run around is supposedly to scare off the demons.
--
"Mother and motherland are more precious than heaven." But that does not mean we must cling to our mothers. The least I can do for Nepal is to bring awareness among the Nepali people. And this Nepali forum is the platform for me.

Return to “The Arts, Culture & Spirituality”