Life is not fair

Nepal specific discussions on culture, spirituality and the arts
kazi

Life is not fair

Postby kazi » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:02 am

So often since my childhood have I heard, "It is not fair." And I'll have to admit that I have indulged in this guilty pleasure so very frequently. But then, friends, lets face it, life is not fair. And that is the truth.

In this thread, I'd like to list out reasons for which life is not fair. But mind you, this statement has different connotations. One way to perceive it is that life has not fair to me and I am unhappy because of this statement. But if you perceive it as the other party (one who supposedly receives the unfair advantage, i.e. *unfair* in my point of view) the statement causes happiness. That is what I am getting at. Why not be at the receiving end of the advantage? In this thread I'd like to list out reasons why life is not fair and how it is helping us.

Let me start by something that will appeal the majority of the world. Lets take Christianity. Christians believe that Jesus died for their sins. Hey, that is not fair. One man died for the sins of the rest of the world and for that the rest of the world should be thankful. Life is definitely not fair.
--
"Mother and motherland are more precious than heaven." But that does not mean we must cling to our mothers. The least I can do for Nepal is to bring awareness among the Nepali people. And this Nepali forum is the platform for me.

Ganesha

Re: Life is not fair

Postby Ganesha » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:37 pm

Very dense writeup. I cannot figure what you are talking about... Perhaps life is in fact not fair...
aawartan.org - nepali forum

kazi

Postby kazi » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:55 am

:) nice double pun there.. I like it @Ganesha... haha... haha (I am still laughing)..
--
"Mother and motherland are more precious than heaven." But that does not mean we must cling to our mothers. The least I can do for Nepal is to bring awareness among the Nepali people. And this Nepali forum is the platform for me.

Ganesha

Postby Ganesha » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:02 pm

Life is not fair. Cell division is imperfect so you cannot look like your mom or your dad one hundred percent. Even if you clone your genes, you will still be different in your thought process, your psychology, your beliefs and even body structure and organs. But then, this is the very element that gives us our individuality. If we all thought the same way, imagine how absurd life would be. I think and he thinks the same and we think the same. What a joke life would be then!

kazi

Postby kazi » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:47 am

Well, I could not agree with you more on this. Individuality does not necessarily give us the leverage, but it does give an opportunity to do something new, and hopefully better. And that is exactly the point.. the very fact that life is not fair brings out opportunities for betterment and that in itself is an advantage.
--

kazi

Postby kazi » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:34 am

Was life fair for GPK? Superficially, he was a charismatic leader no doubt, but an egotist, and a political bully. He was one of two to be PM five times (correct me if I'm wrong), internationally known, nationally renowned, and yet, was life fair to him? He had to carry the burden of BPK for one. He sacrificed his personal life for the sake of politics and when he died, his opponents rode and his back and kicked him in the head. Was that fair? He lived a long fulfilling life and yet in his deathbed, he asked to live for a few more months, maybe weeks, or a few more days perhaps? Is that fair? And yet, his life has inspired, influenced and inculcated a sense of direction, dedication and determination towards democracy for the general masses. GPK, the grand old sire of Nepali history, a man, with merits of Gods and demerits of demons, he was a true demi-God of the modern era.
--

kazi

Postby kazi » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:56 am

Only one person might be better appreciated than Einstein in the modern scientific community, and that is Newton. There are few that revolutionized science as much as Galileo. Noone has changed the way we perceive ourselves (humans) more than Darwin. Not many have made contributions to science as much as these people. An yet was life fair to them? Newton was tortured by his own mind, Galileo was tortured by the religious gurus of the age, and, Darwin was tortured by rejection. And yet, from torture and pain, comes knowledge and change. Life is not fair and yet the outcome is so beautiful.
--

Ganesha

Postby Ganesha » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:38 pm

With every new writeup on the topic, I better understand the issue. [I wanted to put a "thumbs up" emoticon here but seems like it is not available.]

kazi

Postby kazi » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:25 am

thats wonderful.. you should input some stuff too..
--

kazi

Postby kazi » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:37 pm

Gandhi dedicated his life in search of truth. He was given the highest respect (mahatma) and dedicated his life to his motherland, totally ignoring his wife and children. He chose to live in abject poverty and spun his own yarned clothes. Can you believe that? And yet, he is the one who said that poverty is the greatest violence. To a logical observer his life is full of conflicts and confusion. And yet he is one with whom even Einstein was in awe. Was life fair to him? Were his political *buddies* fair to him? Were Muslims fair to him? Were Hindus fair to him? A resounding NO to all the questions on fairness. And yet his life inspires us to do good, be good. His life inspires us to believe in the goodness of man.
--

Return to “The Arts, Culture & Spirituality”