Nakedness

Nepal specific discussions on culture, spirituality and the arts
kazi

Nakedness

Postby kazi » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:19 pm

I feel a bit odd bringing up a seemingly taboo subject as nakedness. But please bear with me because it might have some bearing. I have always wondered about the multi-dimensionality of nature and specifically the duality of cultures. Lets take for example, nakedness in the locker room at a sports facility. Men and womens' locker room are different. Why? There is no secret between men and women and yet there is separation. One may say this separation is intended to protect the fairer sex from the other. And that is understandable and having separate mens' and womens' locker room is acceptable. But what is not acceptable is nudity. Why? The answer lies in the same reasoning for which mens' locker is separate from womens', but with a twist of the 21st. century.
--
"Mother and motherland are more precious than heaven." But that does not mean we must cling to our mothers. The least I can do for Nepal is to bring awareness among the Nepali people. And this Nepali forum is the platform for me.

kazi

Re: Nakedness

Postby kazi » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:38 pm

Let me elaborate a little further and give you a hypothetically extreme scenario: what if men and women all share the same locker room? Either, raging hormones would wreak havoc in civilized society, or, the concept of beauty would be revolutionized. I'm going to leave the second case to the readers' imagination, but in the first case, there would be huge unwanted problems. In order to prevent these problems the quaint elegant solutions is to segregate the males and females. Nicely done.

But freedom of expression is taking its toll today. Just as when Adam partook of the forbidden fruit of the tree of knowledge, we face the risk of guys and gals going after their own kinds. And therefore, this quaint solution that the wisdom of the ages bestowed upon us is not longer quaint. Men need to be protected from men, and I believe the same applies for women.
--
"Mother and motherland are more precious than heaven." But that does not mean we must cling to our mothers. The least I can do for Nepal is to bring awareness among the Nepali people. And this Nepali forum is the platform for me.

Ganesha

Postby Ganesha » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:25 pm

:) I had to read your post twice in order to find what you wanted to say. I can understand the logic on the technical level, though I do not want to talk about the cost of changes(on societal or infrastructural level) involved to create separate lockers for everyone or issuing a new rule that no one is allowed to go nude even in the locker rooms. You have an interesting point. I would be very curious to see what Gay Rights Activists would say on this though.

However, I do not agree to your reasoning that there would be "huge unwanted problems" if the locker rooms were not to be separated. The nude beaches in the Western world are a pleasant proof that nothing "ominous" will happen.
aawartan.org - nepali forum

kazi

Postby kazi » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:45 am

:) haha.. I read this thread several times and laughed out loud every time.

I like your approach to the solution: to ban nudity from public locker rooms. This is another quaint enough solution, albeit a little inconvenience for some.

I still think *huge unwanted problems* is a reasonable assumption because we are cultured to think high of decency in every culture. Somehow, nudity seems obscene.. religiously, pragmatically and in many other ways. I have the highest respect for individual rights and their way of life, and I am fine with nudist beaches. But my point is that they are localized. My problem appears when all beaches become nudist beaches.
--

Return to “The Arts, Culture & Spirituality”