Middle path with water

Nepal specific discussions on culture, spirituality and the arts
kazi

Middle path with water

Postby kazi » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:38 am

Water... the symbol of life. It goes without saying how important a role water plays in our lives. And recently I realized that water is a good teacher also because water teaches the middle path, and which is always the way to happiness. If you are a swimmer you will know I am talking about.

The first three months of a baby's life you do not have to teach it to swim. It instinctively knows to hold its breath in water. As the baby grows it will realize that it cannot breathe in water and that is when the limitations of the human mind creeps in. But after the human learns to swim (and thus, not be afraid of water, or vice versa), it will realize that it is as difficult to go under water than it is to stay afloat. In short, you will neither drown nor will you stay afloat.

When you are thrashing about and struggling in the water, you will feel as if you are drowning and going under. If you are unfortunate enough to drown and stop struggling, you will eventually float up the surface. On the other hand, if you do overcome the fears and learn to swim, you will realize that it is difficult to stay under water. Of course part of the problem is that we must breathe air. But that is not what I am talking about. Even if you could hold your breath for a minute, its still difficult to go under water.

My point is first we are afraid of water and do not want to go under. Then we want to go under, but its difficult. In all this, the problem is not water. The problem is the human mind. We have to learn the middle path which is not out of fear nor greed (different kind of fear), but out of the will. It is when we really achieve this middle path (neither the fear of drowning, not the obsession with floating) we will learn the simple joys of buoyancy of life.
--
"Mother and motherland are more precious than heaven." But that does not mean we must cling to our mothers. The least I can do for Nepal is to bring awareness among the Nepali people. And this Nepali forum is the platform for me.

kazi

Re: Middle path with water

Postby kazi » Wed May 05, 2010 8:29 am

Here's to the Nepali political leaders, listen to Buddha.. take the middle path. Be like the swimmer in the water of democracy. Let altruism be the motivation of politics rather than fear (or greed). That is the ultimate way.
--
"Mother and motherland are more precious than heaven." But that does not mean we must cling to our mothers. The least I can do for Nepal is to bring awareness among the Nepali people. And this Nepali forum is the platform for me.

Ganesha

Postby Ganesha » Mon May 17, 2010 7:59 pm

Altruism is a big call for the current crop. Being able to enjoy when you see happy people because of your work and being able to question oneself when souls are being saddened by your job would in itself do wonders.
aawartan.org - nepali forum

kazi

Postby kazi » Wed May 19, 2010 9:45 am

Yes, I couldn't have put it in better words. Agree wholeheartedly.
--

Return to “The Arts, Culture & Spirituality”