An opinion about anything and everything

Nepal specific discussions on culture, spirituality and the arts
kazi

An opinion about anything and everything

Postby kazi » Tue May 04, 2010 5:40 pm

This is a very fast world... a world where information is at the fingertips.. thanks to search engines like google and bing. But this information is like having access to pennies. Only if you can collect it an count it, you can exchange it for some useful information.. and even for the savvy, this is becoming quite the acquired skill, or maybe even an art, if you will. This requires us to formulate an opinion about almost anything and everything.

Those were the days when you were a civil engineer or a nurse or lawyer. You had your own specialization, you own world.. but today, a biologist probably knows much more about a specific programming application than a computer engineer. The office secretary will advise a computer scientist how to print to the network computer. A computer scientist will advise the doctor whether his allergy could be triggered by the antibiotic. The doctor can help the lawyer decide whether or not the new health reform is necessary or not. What has the world come to?

When I was young, I was taught that the purpose of a society is breakdown of responsibilities and the goal was productivity and efficiency. But today, everybody knows about anything and everything. It is quite a shift in paradigm.

Any thoughts or comments?
--
"Mother and motherland are more precious than heaven." But that does not mean we must cling to our mothers. The least I can do for Nepal is to bring awareness among the Nepali people. And this Nepali forum is the platform for me.

Ganesha

Re: An opinion about anything and everything

Postby Ganesha » Mon May 17, 2010 8:09 pm

Wonderful observation!

A professor once told me that education was for too long being kept in separate compartments - he called this compartmentalization of knowledge. As a result the mindset was an engineer cannot be expected to deal with the stuffs in medicine, or a lawyer cannot talk about genes. He said, knowledge inherently does not exist in pieces and is a whole and that it was our myopic vision that sealed off chunks of knowledge as separate. This he always said had to end. And here we are, in another dilemma as kazi points out,now that knowledge is free and that interdisciplinary studies have flourished so much that we are again in a difficulty.

Personally, I think its about the best use of your skills, conservation of time, liking and useful things in your line of work. Thus a scientist working in the lab might not know how to print to a network ready, wireless printer, the secretary does because she does it all day, probably. Also, she will do it much quicker than the scientist who might have to print once in a while. But coming up with the conclusion that the scientist is dumb or that the secretary is more knowledgeable than the scientist might be disastrous.
aawartan.org - nepali forum

kazi

Re: An opinion about anything and everything

Postby kazi » Wed May 19, 2010 9:56 am

This issue is not about academic qualification or any other ability, for that matter. The point is that people are expected to have an opinion, no matter what. And that, I believe, is taking a long difficult path to knowledge.

I suspect this phenomena is due to the cut-throat competition where impressions play a big role. But when push comes to shove, I think expertise (factual knowledge & practical wisdom) will never have to compete with opinions. Therefore, I think young people should be encouraged to be correct more often than being opinionated.
--
"Mother and motherland are more precious than heaven." But that does not mean we must cling to our mothers. The least I can do for Nepal is to bring awareness among the Nepali people. And this Nepali forum is the platform for me.

Return to “The Arts, Culture & Spirituality”