Altruism

Nepal specific discussions on culture, spirituality and the arts
kazi

Altruism

Postby kazi » Wed May 05, 2010 8:33 am

They say altruism is greatness. They say it is a property of a philosopher, a mahatma. I disagree. Altruism has just as much selfishness as a stock broker or a professional. The only difference is that the motivation for altruism is different than for those dancing to a different drum. There are no great people.. just ordinary people that are motivated differently.
--
"Mother and motherland are more precious than heaven." But that does not mean we must cling to our mothers. The least I can do for Nepal is to bring awareness among the Nepali people. And this Nepali forum is the platform for me.

Ganesha

Re: Altruism

Postby Ganesha » Mon May 17, 2010 7:54 pm

I would say it is a matter of choice of work. For example, if you want to volunteer, you do it because you like that "work". It might not be that you want to help other people that you are there at first. It is a free place and people are free to choose the modes of their karma. As simple as that.
aawartan.org - nepali forum

kazi

Postby kazi » Wed May 19, 2010 9:43 am

Yes, freedom is there, but that is not the point I was getting to. Rather it is your other point on the *mode of karma*. Altruism is just another attribute just like greed, fear and love.
--
"Mother and motherland are more precious than heaven." But that does not mean we must cling to our mothers. The least I can do for Nepal is to bring awareness among the Nepali people. And this Nepali forum is the platform for me.

Ganesha

Postby Ganesha » Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:04 am

Agree.
aawartan.org - nepali forum

kazi

Postby kazi » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:46 am

Some dictionaries define altruism as: "the principle or practice of unselfish concern for or devotion to the welfare of others." And the antonym is given as *egoism.* With this definition, was Gandhi altruistic? Is Mandela altruistic? I do not know.
--

Return to “The Arts, Culture & Spirituality”