Nepali Inheritance Laws

Nepal specific discussions on culture, spirituality and the arts
Ganesha

Nepali Inheritance Laws

Postby Ganesha » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:13 pm

Can somebody explain Nepali inheritance laws in all its simplicity please?
aawartan.org - nepali forum

kazi

Re: Nepali Inheritance Laws

Postby kazi » Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:17 pm

I do not know much, but I think there was a big hullaballu about both sons and daughters having equal inheritance. What is the truth in this?
--
"Mother and motherland are more precious than heaven." But that does not mean we must cling to our mothers. The least I can do for Nepal is to bring awareness among the Nepali people. And this Nepali forum is the platform for me.

Ganesha

Postby Ganesha » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:10 am

Here is the latest in Nepali Times on this article entitled, "Changing inheritance laws, Rich parents don't have to mean rich children". Apparently, they are recommending the abolishment of automatic inheritance and instead allow a will to be the fundamental mode of property transfer. The article has interesting comments too!
aawartan.org - nepali forum

kazi

Postby kazi » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:32 pm

The motivation for the suggested changes is noble, and there is even the chance that this change might encourage philanthropy, however remote. The major doubt I have is whether this change will really have the impact that its motivation intends, or is there a higher risk of worsening the already unstable and volatile nature of a transitional society.

I base my thoughts on the basic instinct for procreation and ensuring success of progeny. If the father is rich, he will want the children to be richer. The key is not to constrain basic instincts but to guide it towards a better direction. In other words, rather than simply material wealth, the father should be encouraged to provide a better inheritance of education, culture and knowledge to his children. I do not know how this can be done, but I think this is the direction that should be taken.
--
"Mother and motherland are more precious than heaven." But that does not mean we must cling to our mothers. The least I can do for Nepal is to bring awareness among the Nepali people. And this Nepali forum is the platform for me.

Return to “The Arts, Culture & Spirituality”