Wonder Why the Nepali Diaspora Loves Momo So Much

Nepal specific discussions on culture, spirituality and the arts
Ganesha

Wonder Why the Nepali Diaspora Loves Momo So Much

Postby Ganesha » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:55 am

This article on Nepali Times makes me ponder why the Nepali diaspora loves Momo so much. Everywhere you go, a Nepali party is all about momo (dumplings). And amazing still, people enjoy it, no matter how many times in a month they have to eat it!
aawartan.org - nepali forum

kazi

Re: Wonder Why the Nepali Diaspora Loves Momo So Much

Postby kazi » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:44 am

haha.. I laughed out loud at the other stuffs. With momos, it is strange. I had brought momos as a Nepali dish and a Chinese friend called it dumplings.. I said, no, its momo. Somehow dumplings made is sound not-Nepali to me. In fact there are so many varieties of dumplings at the Chinese store that it might really seem as if momos are not ingenuous to Nepal.. and more so because dumplings have been in China for ages. And yet, there is such Nepali-pan in the momo, specially with the spicy dip. The momo can come from anywhere, but without the home-made dip, its never the same. you might have noticed, we get ready-to-go wraps or maybe even get pre-cooked dumplings, but we always make the *achaar* at home. I think its the dip that makes us look it so much.
--
"Mother and motherland are more precious than heaven." But that does not mean we must cling to our mothers. The least I can do for Nepal is to bring awareness among the Nepali people. And this Nepali forum is the platform for me.

Return to “The Arts, Culture & Spirituality”