human sacrifice -- ancient rituals

Nepal specific discussions on culture, spirituality and the arts
kazi

human sacrifice -- ancient rituals

Postby kazi » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:48 pm

Yesterday I was chatting with someone back in Nepal and I got goosebumps all the while. We were talking about human sacrifice -- ancient rituals of the past. I was surprised to know that human sacrifice still occurs today in various temples around the valley. One particular temple has human sacrifices every twelve years and this year is the twelvth in one of these temples. It is said that the sacrificial human just appears at the temple door when it is time asking for "dahi chiura." And only four people of the temple know about when and how the sacrifice occurs. Nobody seems to know who these four people are, and, in case the sacrificial human does not appear on time, the four go out and seek the human sacrifice. And when the sacrifice is done, they make sukuti, probably stock for the following twelve years. Creepy..

I still can't totally grasp the whole idea.
--
"Mother and motherland are more precious than heaven." But that does not mean we must cling to our mothers. The least I can do for Nepal is to bring awareness among the Nepali people. And this Nepali forum is the platform for me.

Ganesha

Re: human sacrifice -- ancient rituals

Postby Ganesha » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:52 pm

The fact that you heard it from someone in Nepal is good but can you tell us a bit more about it, like the temple's name, locality so that others if they know of the same, could chip in.
aawartan.org - nepali forum

kazi

Re: human sacrifice -- ancient rituals

Postby kazi » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:31 pm

I am not sure where the temple is but I know that the temple is of a devi.
--
"Mother and motherland are more precious than heaven." But that does not mean we must cling to our mothers. The least I can do for Nepal is to bring awareness among the Nepali people. And this Nepali forum is the platform for me.

Return to “The Arts, Culture & Spirituality”