Phulpati appropriate for Nepal?

Nepal specific discussions on culture, spirituality and the arts
kazi

Phulpati appropriate for Nepal?

Postby kazi » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:29 am

Is phulpati appropriate is the question that comes to mind. It is a day when phul-prasad is brought from Gorkha to Kathmandu to honor the kings with blessings. In essence this culture of phulpati is associated with kings. And therefore, if kings go, why should the culture remain?
--
"Mother and motherland are more precious than heaven." But that does not mean we must cling to our mothers. The least I can do for Nepal is to bring awareness among the Nepali people. And this Nepali forum is the platform for me.

Ganesha

Re: Phulpati appropriate for Nepal?

Postby Ganesha » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:16 pm

Very appropriately said! If we have a republic now and that we did away with "the king and his people", there is no meaning of phulpati, the way it has been celebrated and thus has to be scrapped. But then, people have been doing this for so long that it has stopped associating itself with the king but rather with being a Nepali. And if so, phulpati will have to be redefined, at least formally, disassociated with the king and we can then go on celebrating it the way it is now.
aawartan.org - nepali forum

kazi

Postby kazi » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:28 am

On the other hand, if there is not Dashain and there is no Deepawali, then what else is there? I remember, as a child, I used to look forward to these holidays with much eagerness. Even today, Dashain makes me jubiliant and long for those Dashains in the past. In short, I am fond of my culture.. notwithstanding any political issues.
--
"Mother and motherland are more precious than heaven." But that does not mean we must cling to our mothers. The least I can do for Nepal is to bring awareness among the Nepali people. And this Nepali forum is the platform for me.

Ganesha

Postby Ganesha » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:12 pm

Well, we are just trying to relate our actions with logic. That is all. Whether we have a lot of festivals to celebrate and enjoy is another question.
aawartan.org - nepali forum

kazi

Postby kazi » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:59 am

I agree with the logic totally. We need to strip all the leaders naked and tell them how important it is for a leader to be accountable and transparent. Following up on Kunda Dixit's article, if the leaders are shamelessly disgracing Nepal and her people, they deserve to be without clothes and put up for show.
--

Return to “The Arts, Culture & Spirituality”