Boy or girl - do Nepali parents still prefer one over other?

Nepal specific discussions on culture, spirituality and the arts
Ganesha

Boy or girl - do Nepali parents still prefer one over other?

Postby Ganesha » Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:42 am

With the introduction of cable TV in Nepal in the late 1980's, the internet in late 1990's, a mushrooming of educational institutions and various other factors, Nepalis today, at least in the cities are well aware of the unequal perception between a boy and girl child and I believe much has been done to provide equal opportunities to both. However, culture and traditional values are deeply ensconced in one's psyche and are thus sometimes are hard to change. Do you still see a difference in the treatment of a son and daughter in today's Nepal, even in the city families? Villages also have changed a lot. Perhaps somebody could also describe the current state in villages over Nepal with regards to this issue.
aawartan.org - nepali forum

kazi

Re: Boy or girl - do Nepali parents still prefer one over other?

Postby kazi » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:03 pm

I prefer a girl because it looks like boys are closer to their moms and girls are closer to their dads. I might be generalizing this too much but then again, I'd like to hear other opinions too. I'm not decided yet.. haha.. like I have a choice.
--
"Mother and motherland are more precious than heaven." But that does not mean we must cling to our mothers. The least I can do for Nepal is to bring awareness among the Nepali people. And this Nepali forum is the platform for me.

Ganesha

Postby Ganesha » Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:46 pm

@kazi. Civilization has to a large degree always remained patriarchal. The reason I have come to realize this is that the womankind is far superior that the "man"kind. And the wise people of ancient times must have quickly figured it out. So in order to save males from a double whammy of problems arising out of high male ego consolidated with actual inferiority to females, they created a mechanism where males would be artificially regarded to be superior - the patriarchal system. Despite thousands of years of civilization and conditioning, the womankind is still the superior of the breeds. I tell you this because by now, as a married man, I know, you must have figured it out on your own! And the conclusion of this long talk is that your choice of a daughter thus is more than justified.

kazi

Postby kazi » Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:39 pm

The question is like saying do you like an apple or an orange. Even the sweetness and sourness of either is incomparable. If you really ask me, I'd take both if possible.

My preference was merely selfish vanity. But I'm glad you support it with your Freudian reasoning, @Ganesha. History has been patriarchical.. yes. But if you talk to anthropologists and sociologists, they may argue that origin of civilization, however, started matriarchically. If you observe wild animals, the matriarchs are the bosses; as in lions & elephants. Of course the males are stronger and pumped with tostesterone, but the females are more dextrous and resourceful. It is not only that females are superior, but they are, in fact, incomparable. Its a paradox that in today's technologically advanced patriarchical world, you might imagine a world full of women and devoid of men, but its not possible to imagine a world the other way round. Its simply not possible.

Actually, we had a little chat about it. And not surprisingly, she wants a boy. So I guess, we'll have one of both.

Thanks for sharing your opinions @Ganesha (I almost wrote your real name ;)) and I really hope to hear from other Awartaners also.
--
"Mother and motherland are more precious than heaven." But that does not mean we must cling to our mothers. The least I can do for Nepal is to bring awareness among the Nepali people. And this Nepali forum is the platform for me.

kazi

Postby kazi » Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:15 am

Well, at this stage, I seriously think we should have twins... not identical twins (later I found out that they are called fraternal twins), though. I want a boy and a girl. I know its not very common, but not impossible.. but then again..
--

kazi

Postby kazi » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:52 pm

Big setback in my plans for my Nepali Gita book. Somehow I managed to bend backwards and crap on myself.. forgive my language.. frustration.. desperation.. three years of countless hours down the drain.. I dont know if it was a rm -fr or clean delete & recycle bin but I managed to eliminate all trace of my work on my book.. boy.. am I mad at myself..
--

Ganesha

Postby Ganesha » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:23 am

That is sad. If it was digital, I know you are aware that there are really good ways out there to fish things out of one's disk. I am not certain if it was *nix or Win system. Data from both machines can be fished out.

Try to remember if you ever sent it out (via email) or saved different copies in other machines. If you saved it in a network drive, the sysadmin could help you perhaps. Contact him.

Set yourself some time and research on tools that search for lost files, deleted files. There are tonnes of such software in an OS. If it is *nix, things will be free and generally more powerful. I solemnly hope you had copies, somewhere else and you forgot.

kazi

Postby kazi » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:29 pm

Very sad indeed. It was a work in progress and normally I do not backup such files. Its a lesson to all of us out there to keep daily backups also. It was a folder in my NTFS partition accessible to multiple platforms. I just cannot remember what might have happened. And I realized only recently that it was missing.

I guess I could use one of those file recovery tools too. I am still mad at myself. Anyway.. I'll keep you posted.
--

Return to “The Arts, Culture & Spirituality”