Nepal and our familiarity with the snow

All Nepali resources that are yet to discovered and materialized or talked about in general
Ganesha

Nepal and our familiarity with the snow

Postby Ganesha » Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:31 pm

For many years I thought it was foolish for people from abroad ask to me if I have "climbed the Everest" or "skied in some resorts" there or been familiar with the snow. I took great pain to explain that snow fell only in the remotest areas of the mountainous region and that an average Nepali could not afford to ski and there were no resorts of such sort. But I think I was foolish all those years.

I do understand that most of the slopes we have are too steep for skiing the way they ski in Europe but if we wanted, could we not have found at least a few slopes to run a ski resort? Of course skiing is expensive but if we wanted, could we not have our own home-made mechanisms to enjoy the white slopes? Could we not have cross-country skiing there? (Just like we have cross-country bike rides). And having come from a place where a plane ride of 25 mins from Kathmandu or a day's walk from Pokhara to the foothills of Annapurna, if we wanted, could we not have touched the snow?

I think of it now, how those foreigners thought of my answer then and feel so stupid. We are a country where every sort of micro-climate that is representative of a myriad of climates in the world is present and we hardly expose ourselves to the ones we see and feel in the cities where we live and nowhere else. We need to broaden our mind and think of the whole country when we answer those questions the next time somebody asks them.
aawartan.org - nepali forum

kazi

Re: Nepal and our familiarity with the snow

Postby kazi » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:57 pm

Tei ta.. in fact I have so often thought why we do not have skiing in Nepal. And if you really think about it, ski resort haru ma there is mechanism for artificial snow when there is not enough snowing. I think the bigger problem would be access. I mean how would I get to the Annapurna resort in 2 hours?
--
"Mother and motherland are more precious than heaven." But that does not mean we must cling to our mothers. The least I can do for Nepal is to bring awareness among the Nepali people. And this Nepali forum is the platform for me.

Ganesha

Postby Ganesha » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:43 pm

Well, there could two ways. One is simple and other has to dreamed off but not impractical.

1. Build a cable car from the foothills of Pokhara to Mustang. I think there will not by anything that will beat it, specially in spring when the whole forest shimmers in red and yellow and orange of the rhododendrons.

2. Fly to Mustang (25 mins flight from Pokhara, an hour's flight from Kathmandu, an hour and a half's helicopter ride from Kathmandu). Walk a day towards ABC (Annapurna Base Camp) to reach the snowline. (Not exactly in two hours but possible in a day.)

kazi

Postby kazi » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:18 am

The first seem appealing, but the second I cannot vouch for because the joys of skiing are mingled with trekking.. so to say. What I mean is when people want to ski, they want to ski and the sooner they have access the better, specially in this age of instant gratification. Anyway, I like both options personally, being a thrill-seeker however it comes.

I have recently heard of bungee jumping and that is another source of thrill for those *been there, dont that* attitudes. And I have also heard about para-gliding, which is another thrill seekers' adventure.
--
"Mother and motherland are more precious than heaven." But that does not mean we must cling to our mothers. The least I can do for Nepal is to bring awareness among the Nepali people. And this Nepali forum is the platform for me.

Ganesha

Postby Ganesha » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:48 pm

Bungee jumping is here, http://www.thelastresort.com.np/ (I just love the name) and Paragliding in Pokhara lives here, http://www.sunrise-paragliding.com/. And I just discovered that they have paragliding in Mustang too! Must be really exhilarating an experience, "gliding" over Lord Shiva (Muktinath).

kazi

Postby kazi » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:43 am

thanks, @Ganesha. Its good to know you keep in touch with thrill-seekers back home. I'll have to get in touch with you when I do get a chance to go back.
--

vaidehi

Postby vaidehi » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:17 am

I think MUKTINATH is lord Vishnu not lord Shiva.

kazi

Postby kazi » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:48 am

I dont mean to doubt you @vaidehi, but I thought Muktinath is form of Shiva also. I asked some people and they seem equally unsure. There could be several reasons: (1) the region is Himalayas, the abode of Shiva (2) Muktinath is revered by Hindus and Buddhists and in Tibetan culture as well, resulting in a mish-mash of cultures in which reverence is more important than the idol. But, I am in agreement: The general consensus seems to be that Muktinath is indeed form of Vishnu.
--

Ganesha

Postby Ganesha » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:57 pm

@kazi. There is a genuine need to go cross-country from East to West, in a bus and then I guess we will know so much during that trip that no knowledge about country we have garnered will be able to match. With regards to time, there never was time, there never will. So one has to prioritize and that is my first priority when I go home next time. Will take you along (drag you perhaps) if you happen to be there at the same time.

@vaidehi. Thanks. Yes, it indeed is Vishnu. For kazi in this regard, lord is one and all, right? But we still have names for them. And I would like to give credits to the proper god this time, though all of them are part and parcel of the almighty.

kazi

Postby kazi » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:58 am

Hey @Ganesha, I'll take you up on the offer. We really should do it.
--

Return to “Hidden Resources”