Nepal's Pride - Thangka Paintings

All Nepali resources that are yet to discovered and materialized or talked about in general
Ganesha

Nepal's Pride - Thangka Paintings

Postby Ganesha » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:12 pm

When roaming around Durbar Square and other places in Kathmandu and Patan, I always used to be mesmerized by Thangka paintings. I once asked how much it cost and was taken aback by the price quoted. Apart from objects of sheer beauty, they are used for purposes of teaching, which is an amazing use of Thangka in the olden times, I feel.

Do share here if you have had any close experience with Thangka, in any form. Meanwhile, there are some high resolution Thangkas here that I really liked.
aawartan.org - nepali forum

vinaya

Re: Nepal's Pride - Thangka Paintings

Postby vinaya » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:05 am

Thanks for sharing. :roll:

kazi

Re: Nepal's Pride - Thangka Paintings

Postby kazi » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:19 am

Yep, I also heard that these artefacts are very expensive. From the images, they look very intricate and fine. I did not see prices though. Also, there is an artist from outside of Nepal.. I think from New Zealand. Very interesting.
--
"Mother and motherland are more precious than heaven." But that does not mean we must cling to our mothers. The least I can do for Nepal is to bring awareness among the Nepali people. And this Nepali forum is the platform for me.

Return to “Hidden Resources”