Make your place known to the world

All Nepali resources that are yet to discovered and materialized or talked about in general
Ganesha

Make your place known to the world

Postby Ganesha » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:58 pm

Google maps has a fantastic feature. It allows you to name and mark anything you deem suitable on its maps. So go ahead and mark the Nepali places you know the best(I suggest you begin with your "Tole" first), and practically help make Nepal a better known country. You need to go to http://maps.google.com/mapmaker and sign in with your google id. If you do not have a google id, its time you have one. After signing in, editing is extremely easy. Since your edits are going to be moderated, do not stop yourself from trying. Here is a video of the tutorial.

A note of caution. After a while, it becomes too addictive for some. I thus take the opportunity to say that the advise is on "as is" basis. No responsibilities on my part. ;)
aawartan.org - nepali forum

kazi

Re: Make your place known to the world

Postby kazi » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:06 pm

As a possible user, I'm just concerned about the accuracy of such user-built maps. I read somewhere that moderators review the maps and goes through several layers of refinement before it is eventually published to the public. Even then, I think professional mappers in Nepal could surely do a better job. Anyway, nothing against the public mapping. And whenever I can, I'd make some time for it too.
--
"Mother and motherland are more precious than heaven." But that does not mean we must cling to our mothers. The least I can do for Nepal is to bring awareness among the Nepali people. And this Nepali forum is the platform for me.

Ganesha

Postby Ganesha » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:12 pm

People did not believe that Wikipedia, which was and is free to edit by anyone interested would go anywhere and yet it has become one of Internet's crown jewels. And looking at the growing popularity of web 2.0, involving users and the general public in your online project is one of the surest ways to grow and develop. Google is just following it and I believe, it is the way to forward.

kazi

Postby kazi » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:44 am

Of course we prefer user participation and there is no doubt about it. The question is not whether user-projects are favored or not. The question is the accuracy of the product generated, in this case, maps. It is well known that there are two major causes of inaccuracy: (1) due to human error (for whatever reason), and, (2) due to malice. In Wikipedia, as well as Google mapping, both these errors are rampant. And users would have to use it at their own risk, however big or small it may be. Don't get me wrong. I am a proponent of *open-development* too. But my concern is quality control.

But while we are in the subject of Google growth, may I put forward some arguments against growth in Google. Its not that I do not like Google, but my point is that not everything about Google is fine and dandy. We all remember how Microsoft monopolized the personal computer and we hate Microsoft for it. But isn't google following the same path in its growth?
--
"Mother and motherland are more precious than heaven." But that does not mean we must cling to our mothers. The least I can do for Nepal is to bring awareness among the Nepali people. And this Nepali forum is the platform for me.

kazi

Postby kazi » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:09 pm

This Chrismas/New year break I explored this feature a bit. It is interesting indeed. Thanks for sharing, @Ganesha.
--

Ganesha

Postby Ganesha » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:28 am

Hmm.. that was wonderful to know. If you could find it worthwhile, I am sure there are others who will feel the same. We are on the right track then.

kazi

Postby kazi » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:32 pm

Actually there were plenty of users working in the same location and some seemed like Nepali names. So, surely many people find the tool useful. Its amazing that people actually work on this. I'm just curious to know whether Google hires these people or they do it of their own interest.
--

Ganesha

Postby Ganesha » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:50 pm

Ha.ha.. I know I did it out of excitement and interest. I was on it for about ten days and then I forgot though.

kazi

Postby kazi » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:38 am

Yeah, that explains human nature so beautifully.. and in fact, for a person like me, I need to be able to do that.. haha. I rarely get into things and when I do, I do not like to finish without something substantial.. and for that I suffer.. and rejoice too.. :) paradoxes galore..
--

Return to “Hidden Resources”