In search of a leader.. in search of the divine..

The crisis, how to deal with leadership vacuum & traits such leader(s) require(s), notable leaders of the past/present
kazi

In search of a leader.. in search of the divine..

Postby kazi » Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:17 pm

Blessed is the soul of Arjuna, the one who found grace with Bhagavan Shri Krishna.. not because Krishna is a juggernaut (Jaggannath) among men, not because Krishna is the supreme being that pervades all that which is and that which is not, not because Krishna is God or son of God or messenger of God, but because Krishna is simply a leader. A supreme leader among men (and women, of course), Krishna leads the valiant from *asatya to satya*, f rom *ignorance to knowledge*, and, from *death to everlasting life*. We all may not believe any of the mythological epics of the Mahabharata, but we must believe in the relationship between the supreme leader and the supreme follower. A naive idealist, my soul yearns for that divine relationship. Most of us are young and ambitious and we may prefer the "life in the fast lane," but after all is said and done, our lives become as mythical as the epics that we sometimes treat with contempt. What of our lives if not for the relationships we create, maintain and cherish?

By now, you probably can imagine the type of guy I am. I am a follower seeking a leader. Have you decided which one you are, at least for now?

First of all, we need to be clear on the **need** for a leader for our country. In a short span of 60+ years, we have seen political parties as well as royalty in action within various systems of democracy (term used broadly). And we can safely claim that we have not yet seen a sustainable success story yet. Why is that? Is it because the system is dysfunctional? Obviously not, because democracy is the product of evolution of human culture. Surely, democracy is not the problem. With power comes responsibility and therefore, we must hold the leaders responsible. But mind you, the objective is not to play the *blaming-game*.. its peurile and counter-productive. Our objective is not to blame the individual, but to discover why the leaders have not been able to create a success story yet. Our goal is to identify what is required of a leader so that using the democratic system, we the people, can eventually seek out a leader who can bring about a stable and sustainable growth in Nepal.

So, my strategy is to talk about current leaders and identify pros/cons and what we want/ don't want in a future leader. The ultimate goal is to come up with a list of qualities and find out who or what type of person would best fit the position of a leader. Let us first collect the facts in the first phase. In the second phase, we will sort and discuss, and, in the third phase we will analyse and conclude the discussion in the form of a peer-reviewed article.

Let me start with my favorite leader:

GANESH MAN SINGH
Pros:
+ Brave because despite being jailed several times, he never stopped the struggle for democracy
+ Representative of the people because he was from among the common man, he was respected by the common man and he always fought for the common man.
+ Man of integrity because he did not accept the PM position even when offered because he knew he was a freedom fighter, but not a bureaucrat.
Cons:
+ Uneducated. Many people took him lightly because of this even though he was a noble man

Please feel free to add/subtract and challenge any item. I think we can start other leaders also and work in parallel. Thank you for reading. I sincerely hope we can really bring out a fairly authentic truth about the great men of our nation.
----
External links : The Ganesh Man Singh Foundation, The passing away of Ganesh Man Singh
Last edited by kazi on Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:26 am, edited 5 times in total.
Reason: added links, made the post skicky at top

kazi

Re: In search of a leader.. in search of the divine..

Postby kazi » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:34 am

Thanks for adding the external links. I had never seen it before. But in the NYpost, it says Ganesh Man Singh was **disillusioned** at the end, which I find repulsive because it gives a negative connotation without any justification. No wonder Nepali Congress fell from glory eventually.

Anyway, the other great leader, I think, is Bisheshwor Prasad Koirala. If anyone can provide further information, that would be great.
--
"Mother and motherland are more precious than heaven." But that does not mean we must cling to our mothers. The least I can do for Nepal is to bring awareness among the Nepali people. And this Nepali forum is the platform for me.

kazi

Postby kazi » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:55 am

I think that one of the reasons we cannot find a "leader" in Nepal is not because of lack, but because of a proper framework in which new leaders may emerge. A pity as it may be, its an opportunity and necessity for the people to revamp the political scenario.
--
"Mother and motherland are more precious than heaven." But that does not mean we must cling to our mothers. The least I can do for Nepal is to bring awareness among the Nepali people. And this Nepali forum is the platform for me.

kazi

Postby kazi » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:07 am

"System nai kharab chha.. " that seems to be the most common excuse for both leaders and followers to keep on treading the same path of disillusionment.

Des prem, solidarity, haami Nepali bhanera guff launa sajilo chha.. des ko laagi ramro garne ta kata kata des ko laagi ramro sochna ko laagi samma pani hamro daant bata pasina chhutchha..

If you are for real, des bikas garerai chhodne ho bhane.. lets get our facts straight, lets get into perspective and lets overcome this veil of illusion. Awareness, however painful, is the first step to solidarity, without which des bikas garne kura nagare hunchha. tes pachhi bujhnu paryo ki system kharab hoina. Janata lai basics chahinchha bhane jun neta le tyo deliver garna sakchha, tyo neta lai khojnu parchha.. jasari hunchha: hatti lai fulko mala diyera.. la khoj bhanne ho ki.. haamile yasto forum haruma aafno thoughts refine garera awareness create garni..
--

Ganesha

Postby Ganesha » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:24 pm

kazi wrote:...By now, you probably can imagine the type of guy I am. I am a follower seeking a leader. Have you decided which one you are, at least for now?...

Philosophically, I believe we all are followers. Of the divine. Of nature for the non-believers. Or of human sanctity. Or of the supreme energy that provides a law, a "dharma" to everything we know so that they act the way they do, all the time, every time. However, in life, if I don't intend to be a leader in the profession I am involved in, if I don't dream to be one someday, I think I am going against what we should be doing, "aastoma sadgama". But for the sake of this discussion, I would concur with you Kazi.

kazi wrote:...I think that one of the reasons we cannot find a "leader" in Nepal is not because of lack, but because of a proper framework in which new leaders may emerge...

That is true. Let's take for example existence of political wings in colleges around the country. Though on the surface, it looks like a sound system to come up with future leaders, we all know how much this has hampered pedagogy. Perhaps disentangling the student body with politics could be a key step in the reform. However, I am aware that I have not talked of a real framework and this surely does need a serious thinking. I wonder how the developed world handles this issue.

kazi wrote:So, my strategy is to talk about current leaders and identify pros/cons and what we want/ don't want in a future leader.

People know him much more for notoriety than for anything good but I am surprised and truly believe that Laloo deserves a better analysis. Just look at the transformation of the Indian Railways he recently achieved, despite all odds that we ourselves are familiar with here in Nepal. I believe we need someone like him. At this moment of time, we need a doer, a person who can singlehandedly go the "other way", prove himself different. Everything else, including integrity can take a back seat then.
aawartan.org - nepali forum

kazi

Postby kazi » Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:02 am

Yes, Lalu Yadav is an excellent candidate for discussion. All we need is case studies and how he dealt with them.
--

kazi

Postby kazi » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:17 pm

Another suitable leader that we can analyze is the current President of the US, Mr. Obama. He has been able to win the hearts of the American people, despite all odds. Isn't that what a leader should be able to do? Win the hearts and minds of the people. Really not much else remains in a leader without this ability.
--

kazi

Postby kazi » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:03 pm

This is a small digression from the flow just to direct some more attention to this topic.

With a very layman perspective, I noticed that the content of the most ancient sections of the vedas seem to consider agni, vayu, water, among others (that which is beyond the control of humans and hence considered *awesome*), as entities that must be deified. Only in the later verses and its interpretations in later civilizations do the distinctions between devas, danavs, etc. appear. In other words, whatever is grand, is powerful, is stronger, is faster, is resilient, and so forth and so on, is considered divine.

I think the same trend applies today also. Divinity is quintessential for a leader.
--

kazi

Postby kazi » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:57 pm

Sati le sarapeko desh.. and the sarap most probably manifested in the form of political leaders.. woe to the politicians who are taking the janta in a rat-race... aba feri federalism ko issue kahan bata ayo? When will there be a divine intervention? is all I can think of.. and that says it all.
--

kazi

Postby kazi » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:35 am

There is no doubt that the political leaders are the leading nemesis to the development of Nepal. Nevertheless as a democratic country, the people are to blame also. And as long as we can avoid civil conflicts and use time as an ally, I believe that we, as a Nepali people, will ultimately overcome this miasma of ignorance and rise to the light of awareness.

But there is one other important observation I would like to make: why is failure denounced in our culture? From my qualified experiences in the West, learning to deal with failure is the ultimate test of success. And isn't that exactly what MK Nepal has done? From the glooms of failure, he has risen to the positive of chief executive of the nation. And I do not appreciate people repeatedly reminding everybody else that he was a failure. I have nothing for or against the man personally, but it just does not seem right that a man who has overcome failure is criticized thus. I think it says more about the person criticizing than the person being criticized.
--

Return to “Nepali Crisis of Leadership”