BP Koirala: Statement Given on his Release from Sundarijal

The crisis, how to deal with leadership vacuum & traits such leader(s) require(s), notable leaders of the past/present
Ganesha

BP Koirala: Statement Given on his Release from Sundarijal

Postby Ganesha » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:17 am

My greetings to all my countrymen. My first thought goes to those who laid down their lives on both sides of barricade in recent upheavel in Nepal subsequent to the 1960 coup. I also remember those who have suffered and are suffering untold miseries and oppression in prison and outside. I remember with gratitude those men and officers of the army, detailed on guard duty - with a few exceptions, who indivdually tried to mitigate the rigours of detention with sympathy and service and help.

"Anti-national" is a term used in a political controversy in an extreme[ly] hostile spirit. It cannot definitely be a stateman's definition on their opponents. I am reminded of its use by the Rana also to include all those patriots who wanted to secure democratic rights for the people. One should not forget that the association of the Royal family in the popular struggle on 1950-51 had brought the family within the mischief of this term.

The question that is uppermost in my mind is whether the coup of 1960 has permanently and definitely and irreconcilably alienated the democratic force and the monarchy from each other. I hove and pray that inspite of everything, it is not so, and the breach is not final. My endeavour will be towards the reconciliation of these two elements in our national life. If they are not irreconciliable, statesmanship, as distinguished from political chicanery, personal aggrandisement and advancement of petty temporary gains, calls for a large hearted approach to problem of reconciliation. The democrats will see, I hope, that there are other dangers to democracy more serious than monarchy. I also hope that the kind will also see that there are dangers to monarchy more serious than democracy.

My immediate programme is to get a thorough check-up of my health and undergo a period of treatment in peace during which I will have time also for the study (of the) political situation of the country. You know the four years of imprisonment had been a very hectic period and much water must have flowed (down) the Bagmati when we had been sealed off in an army detetion camp.

[Page 260 from BP Koirala's "Jail Journal", fourth edition, compiled by Ganesh Raj Sharma and published by Jagadamba Press]

Things that I like and titillate me in the above statement:

1. Precise and concise four paragraphs and four issues. First is about thanks to who helped him while in detention. Second is about his explanation to why there was no foundation on which he was put into jail. Third is his vision. Fourth is his reiteration of the fact that he was unlawfully jailed - look at the last word - "army detention camp".

2. The quality English used to convery the message is lengedary. There are no unclear facts or statements. The message is very precise, calculated and tells that he had to say. (Look at para three for the definition of "anti-national" where he goes out and points his finger at the then Royalty in a very logical fashion.)

3. After four years of painful detention for a man of such vision and of such calibre, he is not remorseful, he is not angry. I forever think why he always said Monarchy was required.(At one point in his Journal, he has said, the day Nepali Congress does not believe in Monarchy, the party will have no soul, its existence will have no meaning. Why was he so much of a believer in Monarchy as a force to reckon with?)

4. I have read the statement several times and I think its utterly beautiful! I remember the first time I read the Gettysburg Address and if there is anything close to that address that any Nepali Stateman has given, this could be it.
aawartan.org - nepali forum

kazi

Re: BP Koirala: Statement Given on his Release from Sundarijal

Postby kazi » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:01 pm

I am not very familiar with BP's story and the context as well as political undertones of this address. Nevertheless, what really caught my eye was the very last sentence. Is there a hidden meaning?
--
"Mother and motherland are more precious than heaven." But that does not mean we must cling to our mothers. The least I can do for Nepal is to bring awareness among the Nepali people. And this Nepali forum is the platform for me.

Ganesha

Postby Ganesha » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:15 pm

I think that last statement is a message to the king that that was a bad judgment he made and one that was in vain.

kazi

Postby kazi » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:46 am

hmm.. interesting.. can you tell us what the bad judgement was about?
--
"Mother and motherland are more precious than heaven." But that does not mean we must cling to our mothers. The least I can do for Nepal is to bring awareness among the Nepali people. And this Nepali forum is the platform for me.

Ganesha

Postby Ganesha » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:45 pm

To have BPK and others thrown into jail is the answer as he believes it served no purpose but to take away the freedom of life from a few men whose life nobody should have had control over, not even the king.

It just shows BPK's personality and that he could speak out what he thought was correct, even if he had to challenge the very powerful king of those times.

kazi

Postby kazi » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:17 am

Ok that is very convincing, but then again this might start another debate on who, then, has the control? Or, are you saying that anarchy is recommended?
--

Ganesha

Re: BP Koirala: Statement Given on his Release from Sundarij

Postby Ganesha » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:01 pm

Do not know what you mean here.

kazi

Postby kazi » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:52 am

Well, what I mean is that the king was only a symbol of power. When the king is removed, someone else takes the place of power. In a bicameral democratic republic system, the constitution becomes the king, as in our country now. The parliament, the judiciary and the armed forces, are but extensions of that power. I hope we are in agreement.

That said, the motivation of my question, "is anarchy recommended, then?" comes as a response to the statement, "... to take away the freedom of life from a few men whose life nobody should have had control over, not even the king." Somebody has to have that power. In systems like ours, the power is delegated to the judiciary.

The bottom line is somebody has to have the power of punishment and reward. Then it was the king, now its the constitution. Whether it is the king, or BPK or the common man, justice should be transparent and unbiased. But that is not the source of conflict here. The issue, I think, is to identify why the king put BPK in jail and why BPK thinks it was wrong.
--

Ganesha

Postby Ganesha » Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:13 pm

I get it now. Yes, I agree with the issue you have raised at the end.

kazi

Postby kazi » Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:23 pm

Oh well, we'll never know. Royalty has always been kind of mysterious in Nepal. Nobody really knows what goes on inside. And that is probably one of the reasons problems occur for royalty as well as those that associate with royalty.
--

Return to “Nepali Crisis of Leadership”