*big brother - small brother* phenomena

The crisis, how to deal with leadership vacuum & traits such leader(s) require(s), notable leaders of the past/present
kazi

*big brother - small brother* phenomena

Postby kazi » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:37 am

I have heard so many times that Nepali political scenario is hugely impact by the hotshots in India and China. My first question is is this true? And if it is true, in what way is it true? Is this a fact or mere speculation? Is this psychological warfare to keep the morale down of the Nepalis encumbered by the *big brother - small brother* phenomena?
--
"Mother and motherland are more precious than heaven." But that does not mean we must cling to our mothers. The least I can do for Nepal is to bring awareness among the Nepali people. And this Nepali forum is the platform for me.

Ganesha

Re: *big brother - small brother* phenomena

Postby Ganesha » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:26 pm

Read this for the answer. :) The article is entitled, "The Danger in India's Nepal Policy" and appeared in The Hindu recently. Pretty amazing revelations that are very much related to our previous comments.

PS If you are wondering who this Varadharajan chap is, here is what Wikipedia has to say of him.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siddharth_Varadarajan
aawartan.org - nepali forum

kazi

Re: *big brother - small brother* phenomena

Postby kazi » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:15 am

I had to read the article three times to try to understand what it was trying to say, but unfortunately for me, I could not tie up the loose ends:

1. India herself is being paranoid. And rightly so. They say the chain is only as strong as the weakest link. And yet India is strongly for an open border. If you want to keep an open border, you will have security issues, undoubtedly. And that is the root of this issue. If you are so paranoid, why not eliminate the problem altogether? But no, there are benefits to keeping an open border. The fact of the matter is that it is time to decide whether you want to keep the cake or eat it. The Nepalis are dealing with an adolescent democracy but that is our problem and we have to deal with it. No big brother or parent can help the adolescent. And therefore interference will only bring instability. If India desires stability for Nepal, stop meddling with internal affairs.

2. India and Nepal, and in fact the whole region, share a common culture, similar history. It is normal to be interested in each others' affairs. But there is a thin line between mutual cooperation and interference and it would behoove all bordering nations to behave within reasonable decorum. We Nepalis must remember that any time disaster strikes, the first brother we run to is India. This has happened time and again and India has responded kindly. And for that we must be forever grateful to India. But I think that for India to treat Nepal as equal, the Nepalis must learn to stand for herself first. Nepal must deal with her own problems and seek help only when necessary.
--
"Mother and motherland are more precious than heaven." But that does not mean we must cling to our mothers. The least I can do for Nepal is to bring awareness among the Nepali people. And this Nepali forum is the platform for me.

Return to “Nepali Crisis of Leadership”