BP Koirala

The crisis, how to deal with leadership vacuum & traits such leader(s) require(s), notable leaders of the past/present
Ganesha

BP Koirala

Postby Ganesha » Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:51 pm

Sorry to break the the thread but how about starting a discussion on BP Koirala. Has anybody read his writings? Perhaps, the "Aatmabritanta". The Wikipedia article serves as a good starting point. We could start by listing, as usual, what we like and dislike about the man.
Last edited by Ganesha on Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: topic split and retitled from "In search of a leader.. in search of the divine.." - http://www.aawartan.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=10
aawartan.org - nepali forum

kazi

Re: BP Koirala

Postby kazi » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:06 am

This is an excellent idea. Finally, somebody is writing on this thread. Several months ago I read a small piece written by the great BPK himself about his goings-on with the royal family. I forget where I read it.. perhaps some online review by someone. My impression was that this man was a great thinker, philosopher and statesman. He had a mission and he believed deeply in what he was on an about.

Recently I was at a gathering of the so-called *rich* Nepalis in US.. maybe they can even be called the *elite few* and I was shocked by the sham and veneer of sophistication. I vowed to myself that I would not be swayed by wealth and status. All this wealth.. all the Mercedes Benz.. really does not bring class with it. Not that I have anything against wealth and status, but my point is that class is something that comes with culture and tradition. I think I know how BPK must have felt among the royals. And that is why I admire BPK so much. He has class and did not succumb.
Last edited by Ganesha on Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: edited the title to reflect relevance to new topic
--
"Mother and motherland are more precious than heaven." But that does not mean we must cling to our mothers. The least I can do for Nepal is to bring awareness among the Nepali people. And this Nepali forum is the platform for me.

Ganesha

Postby Ganesha » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:00 am

Update:

BP's "Atmabrittanta" has been translated into English recently. Here is a review you can read to have a feel of what the book is all about.
aawartan.org - nepali forum

kazi

Postby kazi » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:44 am

Thanks for sharing @Ganesha. I have read parts of the Nepali version and I have to say this review provides a nice summary but does not really give a useful review for prospective readers. And after reading from an earlier link that you shared, BPK's style is supposed to be geared towards psychoanalysis and specializes in womens' perspectives. And I was expecting an elaboration on this point in the reveiw. But there was non. It seemed to be that the major focus was to relate history rather than commend on the style and content of the author. Anyway, I am no expert and its only my opinion. I would not want to pass judgement.

Once again, thanks for sharing.
--
"Mother and motherland are more precious than heaven." But that does not mean we must cling to our mothers. The least I can do for Nepal is to bring awareness among the Nepali people. And this Nepali forum is the platform for me.

Return to “Nepali Crisis of Leadership”