Federal Democratic Republic of Nepal

Any aawartaner (registered user) can create one.

Which of the following best describes the system in Nepal

Poll ended at Sun May 30, 2010 7:25 am

Nepal is a republic, with a democratic senate controlled by a federal government.
No votes
Nepal is a federation of multiple democratic states in the form of a republic.
100%
Nepal is a democracy whose republic has a bicameral form of government with federated powers.
No votes
None of the above make sense.
No votes
All of the above mean the same.
No votes

Total votes: 1

kazi

Federal Democratic Republic of Nepal

Postby kazi » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:25 am

As non-native English speakers, the words federation, democracy and republic have specific meaning for us. Federation means that there is a hierarchical distribution of power. Democracy means that the decision-making is done by representatives from demographic groups. Republic means that the public empowers its representatives to make specific decisions.

I have often wondered why all these three words are included in the formal name of our nation. And I have to admit I have never really been able to decide why it is this way. With my limited knowledge, my understanding is all of these three systems are somehow incorporated into the ideal of the Nepali system. However, this may have different interpretations. And the purpose of the poll is to attempt to clarify it a bit.

And if you have suggestions, please feel free to send me a ping. This poll will run for 3 months and users are eligible to change their vote anytime within the time frame.
--
"Mother and motherland are more precious than heaven." But that does not mean we must cling to our mothers. The least I can do for Nepal is to bring awareness among the Nepali people. And this Nepali forum is the platform for me.

Ganesha

Re: Federal Democratic Republic of Nepal

Postby Ganesha » Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:11 pm

That was quite illuminating Kazi. Had not known the distinctions. But a quick Google search tells me that Germany too is called, the "Federal Democratic Republic of Germany" and thus it seems though not very logical in the meaning, it is a generally accepted way of naming/defining a country. Having said that until the constitution is authored, we will not have any basis to pick the three different choices in the above poll. Until then however, I could still tick mark the one that I think should be the case and I have done just that.
aawartan.org - nepali forum

kazi

Postby kazi » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:00 pm

1. For long I had wondered about those three words and eventually I came up with something. I might be wrong. Frequently I am wrong. But I am open to discussions.

2. @Ganesha, I beg to differ but the CIA factbook gives the name as Federal Republic of Germany. But even if Germany has all three words, there is no reason Nepal should have the same name due to obvious differences.

3. Anyway, your insight in the matter might have overshadowed the simplicity of my query. May I elucidate with simple examples. Say we have several sentences:
:: Sentence (1) Ram is a talented young Nepali.
- My understanding of this sentence is that Ram is first and foremost a Nepali, who
happens to be young and talented.
:: Sentence (2)Ram is a young Nepali talent.
- For me, this sentence means Ram is a talent who happens to be young and a Nepali.

Kindly use this understanding as a basis for your vote.

Lets use our intellects to do the reasoning rather than following what has been fed to us without really understanding the underlying foundations.
--
"Mother and motherland are more precious than heaven." But that does not mean we must cling to our mothers. The least I can do for Nepal is to bring awareness among the Nepali people. And this Nepali forum is the platform for me.

Ganesha

Postby Ganesha » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:34 pm

There is only one vote here. Strange. Nobody had time to come over and vote?
aawartan.org - nepali forum

kazi

Postby kazi » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:11 am

I'm disappointed too. But I think I can understand. Do you remember someone mentioning that awareness is like agreeing to have a headache? I guess its true. Thinking about all this is like having a headache and this is an unpleasant thing. And yet, it sounds perfectly sensible for me to have this headache because I believe that a headache today will prevent a stroke down the road.
--

Return to “Aawartan Poll”