Leaders of Today

Issues of enduring significance specific to Nepal and those that affect all Nepalis. Examples are our vulnerability to earthquakes, flooding in the Terais
kazi

Leaders of Today

Postby kazi » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:50 am

I was reading the news on how Warren Buffet and Bill Gates are donating the bulk of their fortunes to science and research. A thought crossed my mind, "We must be thinking about leaders on the wrong lines. Today's leaders are not political leaders, but business and technology leaders." No wonder our search for a fruit on the political tree has not borne any results. And indeed, if you compare historical trends to today's patterns, we will see that the source of individuals that have the most impact on the majority of humans has moved on from politics and religion to science and technology. Gone are the days of Spanish inquisition and Ghengis Khan. This is the day of innovation and creation.
--
"Mother and motherland are more precious than heaven." But that does not mean we must cling to our mothers. The least I can do for Nepal is to bring awareness among the Nepali people. And this Nepali forum is the platform for me.

Ganesha

Re: Leaders of Today

Postby Ganesha » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:05 am

Imagine the effect Facebook is having with 500 million users registered of which half login everyday! And they say, they made facebook of what is today by following some some simple rules like:
1. Scaling horizontally (just increase the sizes)
2. Moving fast (speed in necessary)
3. Changing incremetally (see there are no miracles even at facebook!)
4. Measuring everything (perhaps similar to our, "Ghati herera haddi nilnu")
5. Maintaining small independent teams (for freedom of change control)
6. Control + responsibility (which is obvious)

Indeed kazi, the world is being shaped by innovators and inventors. Well said.
aawartan.org - nepali forum

kazi

Postby kazi » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:47 am

Those were some interesting bits of information I had not read before.

Not only are these technology leaders extremely successful, but dedicated philanthropists. We need more leaders like that. Will there be another Bill Gates in the near future?
--
"Mother and motherland are more precious than heaven." But that does not mean we must cling to our mothers. The least I can do for Nepal is to bring awareness among the Nepali people. And this Nepali forum is the platform for me.

kazi

Postby kazi » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:34 am

So many people prognosticate that China holds the key to the future leadership because of its current growth rate and population. I disagree.. not because I know better than the experts, but because I know that economic growth is not the best measure for a leader. It is the growth of ideas, the development of a vision that creates a leader. And today, China might have a booming globalized economy, but it is still a closed world ideologically.

In this respect, I think India has a better chance of being a future leader. India has economic growth, technical finesse, openness and more importantly, vision. India is the epitome of globalization, sustaining a cosmos of societies and ideas. I think the future is in India.
--

Return to “Issues of Enduring Significance”