Cancer

Issues of enduring significance specific to Nepal and those that affect all Nepalis. Examples are our vulnerability to earthquakes, flooding in the Terais
kazi

Cancer

Postby kazi » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:20 pm

Decades ago my great grandfather died. I was too small to realize then, but just in the last decade I realized that he had died of colon cancer. Within the past decade, my grandfather and grandmother also died of cancer.

On one hand I realized how painful death can be when a dear one departs us. But on the other hand I was angry because cancer need not have won the battle so soon. We could have nipped it in the bud or at least suspended its progression for some time. When my grandfather had one month to live, all he wished for was a year more of life. My grandmother pined away in sorry.. her only solace was amnesia.. not able to cope with the harsh reality of life.. until she also succumbed to cancer. She need not have suffered thus.

Who was it that said cancer is not a statement.. it is just a word.. just another word. When will we learn that cancer is not something to run away from.. but something to learn more about and conquer. I think cancer is like a stray dog.. unless we fight back, it is going to come into the house and steal our loved ones. No, cancer! You are not welcome in my house.
--
"Mother and motherland are more precious than heaven." But that does not mean we must cling to our mothers. The least I can do for Nepal is to bring awareness among the Nepali people. And this Nepali forum is the platform for me.

vaidehi

Re: Cancer

Postby vaidehi » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:36 pm

And the most difficult and the saddest part is, despite all the radio, chemo therapy, etc. you have to see him suffering, crying with the pain day and night and you can do nothing. You become so helpless.
And at last upon his last breath, you think that at least he got relieve from his pain.
At least he can now sleep with peace.

kazi

Postby kazi » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:43 am

Yes @vaidehi.. that is the other aspect.. the more painful aspect of it all. Since he was too aged for radiotherapy, he had to go for chemo. I cannot even imagine his pain and suffering. But what pains me more is that even he himself was ashamed of the disease. And that is the major point I want to make. Cancer chooses you and not the other way round. So there should be no element of shame.

Perhaps its the lifestyle or perhaps its mutation, but definitely it is no reason for shame. Anybody could get cancer at any point of his/her life. And early detection and treatment is necessary. My grandfather was also a heart patient and I suspect the medication could have been the major cause of cancer. But I am just speculating here. Anyway, the point is that we could have stopped cancer from spreading. And what was necessary is the awareness about cancer.
--
"Mother and motherland are more precious than heaven." But that does not mean we must cling to our mothers. The least I can do for Nepal is to bring awareness among the Nepali people. And this Nepali forum is the platform for me.

bhanu

Postby bhanu » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:08 pm

My family has taken care of a cancer victim. The pain and the agony the victim goes through are unimaginable. After certain stage fight against cancer is a losing battle as long as science does not progress further in finding reliable cure of it; hence, for now, fighting against cancer means changing our living style, our food habit and our awareness level. Many types of cancer are curable if caught in very early stage. Hence, our healthcare system should make it mandatory to check possibility of cancer in every six months.
I hope religious rights of all colours all around the world do not oppose funding on stem cell research which has potential of curing worst ailments like cancer and Alzheimer’s disease.
"The people, and the people alone, are the motive force in the making of world history"

Return to “Issues of Enduring Significance”