Hidden Identity

Your ideas to make aawartan interesting and useful
bhanu

Hidden Identity

Postby bhanu » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:42 pm

Dear Friends,
The internet users have benefits of either remaining anonymous or revealing own identity. When participating in forums, it feels awkward to communicate with somebody who does not have identity or who has concealed identity. Does it harm revealing personal identity when participating in closed knit forums like this one?

Just curious!
"The people, and the people alone, are the motive force in the making of world history"

kazi

Re: Hidden Identity

Postby kazi » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:03 am

bhanu, I know exactly what you mean. Initially, I started out with my name as the username and I thought its going to be an open forum. But I am just following the guidelines given to me. I think there are both advantages and disadvantages to annonymous membership. I am open to reavealing identities too, but really it depends upon the majority of member.
--
"Mother and motherland are more precious than heaven." But that does not mean we must cling to our mothers. The least I can do for Nepal is to bring awareness among the Nepali people. And this Nepali forum is the platform for me.

Ganesha

Postby Ganesha » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:42 pm

@bhau, @kazi and remaining awartaners,

Anonymity was believed to give strength to all those voices out there to express in an unencumbered, pure and direct way with no fear or embarrassment whatsoever and with all the freedom in the world. Expressions matter and that is why aawartan was conceived in the first place. Now that you feel you have been empowered and no longer need the "veil", you can go ahead and do so. We would appreciate your decision. And if you need help in changing the names, just pm me!
aawartan.org - nepali forum

kazi

Postby kazi » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:55 pm

In the long run, anonymity is going to keep aawartan.org safe. Its not so much about keeping privacy, but about keeping the topics under discussion in focus rather than the person who is doing the talking. Why need justice be blind? Its not to turn away from the truth, but to avoid the extemporaneous factors that affect justice. In the beginning I was for unveiled identities, but thinking about justice and bias, I thought anonymity is a good idea.

But again, it really does not matter that much to me because I have always kept my critique beyond any bias. I am willing to switch if the majority are in favor. I think its very healthy for aawartan to have either all open or none. Any decision should be taken with care. And I believe we should hear more on this before we switch.
--
"Mother and motherland are more precious than heaven." But that does not mean we must cling to our mothers. The least I can do for Nepal is to bring awareness among the Nepali people. And this Nepali forum is the platform for me.

Return to “Suggestions”